Changing shells ALL the time

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Fullmetalheart

Changing shells ALL the time

Post by Fullmetalheart » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:24 pm

Hey guys,

So I only have two hermit Crabs in a 10gal tank. One is a solid medium and the other is small to medium. The larger of the two Sebastian is super outgoing at night and brave. The little one Herb is more shy and I believe is currently molting (I hope) he is defiantly dog down in the substrate somewhere. When we got Sebastian he actually changed shells with in the first twelve hours while travelling in a car.... then yesterday night he switched shells. I had just purchased new shells (natuaral) and threw out the painted ones. He is now currently switching again.... Is this normal? He has not molted since I got him I've only had them two weeks. Is it like clothing? He just wants to find the next best fit? :crabblush:

Links

Re: Changing shells ALL the time

Post by Links » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 pm

I’m not experienced but this sounds normal to me. He’s looking for the right fit. And I think smaller crabs molt more often and for shorter durations than larger crabs. But I wouldn’t be worried about 2 weeks. I think smallish crabs molt about once every 2-3 months or maybe once a month if they’re teeny. Again I don’t have a lot experience.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:49 am

Fullmetalheart wrote:Hey guys,

So I only have two hermit Crabs in a 10gal tank. One is a solid medium and the other is small to medium. The larger of the two Sebastian is super outgoing at night and brave. The little one Herb is more shy and I believe is currently molting (I hope) he is defiantly dog down in the substrate somewhere. When we got Sebastian he actually changed shells with in the first twelve hours while travelling in a car.... then yesterday night he switched shells. I had just purchased new shells (natuaral) and threw out the painted ones. He is now currently switching again.... Is this normal? He has not molted since I got him I've only had them two weeks. Is it like clothing? He just wants to find the next best fit? :crabblush:
It sounds normal to me! He's just looking for a nice fitting pair of pants/pajamas. Image He may have not had much to choose from before, so he's enjoying the new duds. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 am

They like trying on different pants. Going back to the 1st one. Trying on more.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:02 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:They like trying on different pants. Going back to the 1st one. Trying on more.
They have to see what pair of pants makes their butt look better LOL.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:02 am
They have to see what pair of pants makes their butt look better LOL.

Don't we all? :hlol:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Don't we all? :hlol:
Haha! :D