New Crab Owner - Question About Behavior

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
LittleCinderella

New Crab Owner - Question About Behavior

Post by LittleCinderella » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:27 pm

We've had our crabs for two weeks now and one of our more active crabs has been out of his shell - not naked, just out (see picture) all day now and not snugged up in his shell like our others (see pic). Is this normal for them to spend so much time hanging out?

Thanks!ImageImage

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: New Crab Owner - Question About Behavior

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Yep, that's totally fine. My crab Beau tends to sleep sitting up, legs out, with only his eyes tucked under his shell. I can tell he's sleeping because nothing moves, not even his antennae. He also likes to walk on his hamster wheel during the day and explore the tank. My shyer crabs tend to stay more hidden during the day. It just depends on the individual crabby.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
LittleCinderella

Post by LittleCinderella » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:17 am

Thank you for the reassurance! They've been through a lot of changes this past two weeks and I've been worried.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:49 am

You're welcome! I totally understand. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. We are all here for you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav