Crab takes food from bowl

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Julsie

Crab takes food from bowl

Post by Julsie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:07 am

Typically all of my crabs do fine and eat together in a pair or group whenever I add fresh food because they all swarm in at the same time. I did notice tonight that one of my jumbos sneakily crawled up behind another jumbo and into the food bowl only to snatch up a large tomato peeling and exit quickly out of the bowl to eat it some place else. Is that normal or he’s just being odd and might prefer to eat alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Crab takes food from bowl

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:38 am

Some of our crabs do that every once in a while. That's how our one rescue Mr. Fishyhead got his game! It's perfectly normal, they just don't want to share!

That's why you should try and spot clean the crabitat every few days. Spot cleaning helps reduce bad smells, mold, and other issues from carried off food.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:28 am

My crabs have an order that they eat :) Occasionally one will take something and run off.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 am

I saw one of my crabs once, stuff food inside his shell for later.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi