Fresh molt

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Julsie

Fresh molt

Post by Julsie » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:13 pm

My very first hermit crab when down for a molt and she just appeared yesterday and she’s real slow/sluggish/skittish. She’s been sitting in the shell shop basket by the uth. Normally she’s very rowdy she likes to climb and speed walk all around the tank and she’s not shy to pop out her shell and say hello when she sees humans/human hands. Is this a normal post molt thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlookittiePC

Re: Fresh molt

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi! I have also noticed this type of behavior in my crab recently after he molts! He is usually super active and outgoing, but he's really shy and lazy after he molts. I affectionately refer to this behavioral pattern as "post-molt jitters"! From what I've noticed from my crab, normal behavior usually resumes within a week after the molt. Just try to be extra careful around your tank, by not speaking loudly or making sudden movements, and your crab should calm down within a few days. :)
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Topic author
Julsie

Re: Fresh molt

Post by Julsie » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:00 pm

BlookittiePC wrote:Hi! I have also noticed this type of behavior in my crab recently after he molts! He is usually super active and outgoing, but he's really shy and lazy after he molts. I affectionately refer to this behavioral pattern as "post-molt jitters"! From what I've noticed from my crab, normal behavior usually resumes within a week after the molt. Just try to be extra careful around your tank, by not speaking loudly or making sudden movements, and your crab should calm down within a few days. :)
Thanks! I’ll be keeping an eye out for her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk