Shell jacking or mating?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Elli

Shell jacking or mating?

Post by Elli » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 am

Hi all, I hope the file works but basically I saw one of my hermits gently rocking the shell of another. I read that if its a gentle rock it could be mating behaviour but also rocking can be a sign of shell jacking. No claws were involved just a slow rock for 20-30 seconds or so then stopped and both parted ways but have been in the same are together all night. There are a huge variety of shells in correct sizes to choose from as well including double ups in style. No idea of the sex of either crab.//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f103b8324d ... 03_899.mp4

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

TheCrabbyJohnsons

Re: Shell jacking or mating?

Post by TheCrabbyJohnsons » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:49 am

I'm fairly new, so I don't know if I can speak to your question exactly, but something that could help is determining the sex of both which is not too difficult. Females will have two spots on their hindmost walking legs and males won't. The topic on Breeding should give some more help on how to determine this. I just picked my crab up carefully by the shell when he was on my hand and lifted him so he extended himself to stay on my hand. I was able to see his underside better and he did not have gonopores (those spots). Hope that helps a little!
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=92519

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shell jacking or mating?

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Typically shell rocking is them trying to shell jack. I've never seen them do that when they have bred. I wasn't able to look at the video bc it wanted me to download the video.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com