Got pinched :(

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Sammi63108

Got pinched :(

Post by Sammi63108 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Got my hermies 2 more friends today as 2 of the others we had didn't make it :( (they were from the beach, found a local pet store that takes good care of their crabbies) and while I was moving the bigger one he got scared and pinched me 😭 what is the best way to move them? I don't want to hold them by the shell and hurt them/scare them

crabs_lex

Re: Got pinched :(

Post by crabs_lex » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:19 pm

how were you holding him when he pinched you?
and where are you moving them to?

Topic author
Sammi63108

Post by Sammi63108 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:58 pm

I sat him in my hand like cupping my hand. I just got them today so I was moving them into the enclosure from the container they came in

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Sammi63108 wrote:I sat him in my hand like cupping my hand. I just got them today so I was moving them into the enclosure from the container they came in
When I first got my crab Ichabod many years ago, he pinched me while I was moving him. I had to run to the bathroom sink, and gently turn on the water, and place him underneath to get him to let go. Boy did it hurt!

If you're going to use your hand, keep your hand flat out so there's nothing to pinch, and hold their shell with the other hand. I'm not that trusting though, so I keep a washcloth or towel on my one hand while holding their shell with the other. This way they feel there's ground underneath them, but it protects my hand in case they feel the need to grab on lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Sammi63108

Post by Sammi63108 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:05 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:39 pm
When I first got my crab Ichabod many years ago, he pinched me while I was moving him. I had to run to the bathroom sink, and gently turn on the water, and place him underneath to get him to let go. Boy did it hurt!

If you're going to use your hand, keep your hand flat out so there's nothing to pinch, and hold their shell with the other hand. I'm not that trusting though, so I keep a washcloth or towel on my one hand while holding their shell with the other. This way they feel there's ground underneath them, but it protects my hand in case they feel the need to grab on lol.

That's a great idea thank you so much!!😊 yeah it hurt a good bit but definitely not as bad a turtle bite 😬😂

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:10 pm

Sammi63108 wrote: That's a great idea thank you so much!!Image yeah it hurt a good bit but definitely not as bad a turtle bite ImageImage
You're welcome! Image

I have a tortoise, who has gotten my hand by mistake when I was hand feeding her greens. It def does hurt like crazy ha!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

skygreg007

Post by skygreg007 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:11 pm

I had a crab pinch me really hard at the pet store once. It helped when I bent down to the ground. He/she prob felt like they were picked up by a skyscraper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:20 pm

I was pinched by one of my jumbos that I just got. It hurt but she let go immediately. They only pinch if they feel like they are going to fall. Its best to hold them with an outstretched palm so they cant grip anything.