Is my hermit bullying it's habitat mate?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Assine_Shenanigans

Is my hermit bullying it's habitat mate?

Post by Assine_Shenanigans » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:28 am

So for the past few days I hadn't seen my youngest hermit so I poked around to find her(I'm just assuming my youngest is female). I found her hiding in her shell buried, so I did what she used to and made a hollow under their water dish. When I checked on them my oldest, Hermin, was pushing sand in front and filling in the slope I made for Hermione to get out. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or Hermin being a jerk. They haven't had a fight since I first introduced Hermione and made the mistake of not having enough shells. Thankfully I caught it before either one got hurt.

FJrocks003

Re: Is my hermit bullying it's habitat mate?

Post by FJrocks003 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:59 pm

If it wasn't direct fighting it was probably just an accident. If you see them fighting then I'd rearrange some things around the tank to limit the scene of territory. Also try adding more shells, if it was a shell dispute then you can never give them to many choices.
Every Crazy (but cool) Pet I Own: 20(ish) baby grey tree frogs, 4 rosy minnows (Spot, Mortan, Franny, and Splash), 1 checkered garter snake (Ember), 1 eastern garter snake (Clover), 1 ant colony (Queens: Night & Tiny), 1 dog (Rubix), and 3 hermit crabs (Fleck, Dilly, and Flame).

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is my hermit bullying it's habitat mate?

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:15 pm

He's provably just digging and the sand happened to be getting pushed down the burrow you made. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I also like to caution against digging up a burrowed crab unless there's a reason to do so. They dig not only gor fun, but also to moult and do best uninterrupted when moulting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+