Stealing Shells

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Amelia D

Stealing Shells

Post by Amelia D » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:18 am

One of my crabs was alone for a bit less than 2 months. I then introduced 3 more crabs, all of which were smaller. My original crab had just molted and was trying around for some new shells. While doing this, one of the new crabs took his old shell. My original crab seems to want that shell back. I witnessed him trying to steal it.

After that I isolated my original crab in fear that he would kill my new crab for the shell. How long should I isolate my original crab? Or is this something that can't be fixed (as in he'll always want the shell back)?

Just some other info: My new crab fits really well in the shell, yet my original crab does not at all. Yet he still insists in going in it. I'm not sure if my original crab is happy in the shell he is in now, or if he still wants the other shell.

Any tips and advice is very much appreciated :)

Thank you!

crabs_lex

Re: Stealing Shells

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:48 pm

how many shells do you have?
if you don’t have at least 3-5 per crab it would help to buy more so they have a wide variety

Topic author
Amelia D

Post by Amelia D » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:21 pm

I have plenty of shells for both of the crabs involved. They are (mostly) all the same type so I'm not sure how much variety there really is. All are different sizes though.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 pm

this happened with one of my crabs before and even though i had more than enough shells i bought more and he went to a new shell and was happy