bored crab staring into space :(

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

bored crab staring into space :(

Post by avocadocrabbies » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:21 pm

I have four crabs (one medium, two large, one extra large) in a fifty gal. my extra large, sandy, used to be an avid climber, but now she spends most of her time on the upper level just staring outside the tank at the rest of my room, antenna waving. I think she's just really bored of everything, and for a nearly jumbo crab with four other tank mates, fifty gallons is such a teeny space compared to an endless beach that wild crabbies have.

The entire second level and back wall are covered in egg crate, and i have hamster wheels and bark/cholla attached everywhere. tons of plants, tons of vines, hideys, logs and branches. Should I just keep getting new and different toys to relieve boredom? Wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

jonathon1989

bored crab staring into space [emoji20]

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:23 pm

My crabs do the same thing. It is possible that they are oberving the environment around them. You could try taking her out of the tank with the other crabs and letting them roam around a room. Just make sure to block openings or places they can get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabs_lex

Re: bored crab staring into space :(

Post by crabs_lex » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:28 pm

My crabs love when i rearrange their tank they love to explore
i also buy extra plants and i like to rotate them when i rearrange the tank

AwesomeHermit

Re: bored crab staring into space :(

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:51 am

I would recommend getting some more things to climb.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!