Surface molt??

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
kayo1895

Surface molt??

Post by kayo1895 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 am

Hey all,
Im a fairly new crab owner and its been about a month since I got them. I have 1PP and what seems to be 2 Ecuadorians in a 15 gallon tank with a glass top, lots of substrate, places to hide, and new food daily along with two water bowls of one fresh and one salt. My one ecuadorian Squirt, who has been the most active since I got them recently has been in the same position for about 3 days so far. The other two have seemed to be thriving and have actually both changed shells in the last week as well. Squirt has seemed to be tucked into its shell for the majority and as of my knowledge has not moved during all this time. I have not picked squirt up since she has taken on this position, but I have noticed her antennae and eyes out for short periods during the day and she will retract deeper if im cleaning the substrate and happen to brush a leaf against her.
I am not sure if Squirt is prepping for a molt or is just resting, as she is fully on the surface?? Any help would be great.

FJrocks003

Re: Surface molt??

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:43 am

She is probably just resting, crabs are nocturnal so she might just think that this is a good place to sleep during the day. As long as your substrate is deep enough (6" or 3 times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper) she would have no problems molting.
Every Crazy (but cool) Pet I Own: 20(ish) baby grey tree frogs, 4 rosy minnows (Spot, Mortan, Franny, and Splash), 1 checkered garter snake (Ember), 1 eastern garter snake (Clover), 1 ant colony (Queens: Night & Tiny), 1 dog (Rubix), and 3 hermit crabs (Fleck, Dilly, and Flame).

curlysister

Re: Surface molt??

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:31 pm

E's actually prefer deeper sub, from what I have read. I don't have any E's, but most people say 10 to 12 inches of sub for them.
Time will tell what is going on. If the crab is still moving, they are alive. All you can do is keep the conditions optimal, and offer good healthy foods (which you are already doing). Honey is good for quick energy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers