Is this normal?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
DUDE

Is this normal?

Post by DUDE » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 pm

I have only recently begun watching my crabs early in the am. However, I have been noticing that they like to spread their legs and claws wide against the glass as if they are trying to get out. Is this normal because they are wild caught or is there something wrong with my tank? Any help will be appreciated:)

jonathon1989

Re: Is this normal?

Post by jonathon1989 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:56 pm

DUDE wrote:I have only recently begun watching my crabs early in the am. However, I have been noticing that they like to spread their legs and claws wide against the glass as if they are trying to get out. Is this normal because they are wild caught or is there something wrong with my tank? Any help will be appreciated:)
Its a common behavior. Mine do that all the time. As you said they are wild caught animals and are mosty likely looking to escape the tank. A second possibity is that they see their refelction in the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HermitofHermitCrabs

Re: Is this normal?

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:21 pm

They do this frequently in my experience. I have a few that like to do this near the moonglo lamp.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.