Weird behavior in heat

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
crabs_lex

Weird behavior in heat

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 pm

so the past few nights my tank has been colder like 65-70 which i know is cold but i’m setting up my heater tomorrow
thank gully i found this heater we use in the winter and i turned it on in my room for the crabs
but ever since i got the temp up to like 78 the crabs have been slow which is weird since they like the temp around there
could anyone give me advice
they have been really active in e cooler temps

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Weird behavior in heat

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:52 pm

How about the humidity? The tank isn’t getting dried out by the new heat source, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 pm

it has been steady at 82- 85
im worried my themometer might be bad or something even though it has always been accurate with no problems, and its not old either

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Hm, yeah, calibrating both your gauges would be a good place to start. For the hygrometer you can do the salt test, and the thermometer compare its reading to that of your home’s thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:55 pm

What kind of gauges are you using? Are they digital or analog? I agree with Joe that you should calibrate them.

You can buy an Acurite guage from Amazon, digital, runs on batteries, tells you temp and humidity currently as well as low and high for last 24 hours: https://smile.amazon.com/AcuRite-00325- ... 184&sr=8-2
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm

they are analog i got them not too long ago because i k ew i needed a new one
and thanks for the one i will definitely have to grab one!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:11 pm

crabs_lex wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm
they are analog i got them not too long ago because i k ew i needed a new one
and thanks for the one i will definitely have to grab one!

IMO analog gauges can go bad fairly quickly and don't tend to be reliable.

Humidity boosters: Bubblers definitely do help boost the humidity. Double dish bubblers: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1030806

You can also add moss pits to help. You would use organic moss (as well as moss that is on the safe list), and moisten it with dechlorinated fresh water. Then, put the moss in a shower caddy or a glass vase laying on it's side so the hermits can walk in and out of it.

Glass tops also help keep humidity in.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com