Guarding? Claiming? Bullying?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Julsie

Guarding? Claiming? Bullying?

Post by Julsie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 am

I noticed tonight around 10pm two of my crabs were posted on top of the second level in my crabitat & i was like awww cute. Couple minutes later I noticed one of them (i’m assuming it’s male by the numerous amount of hair on the legs?) was latched on top of the others shell kinda in a mount position. I watched closely for awhile and the mounted crab was not acting aggressive or trying to shell rock the other, the other didn’t even seem to mind. The crab that was being mounted ended up walking away & the mounted crab followed. This happened throughout the next hour, the mounted crab kept following the other one wherever it went. Around 4am I see all the crabs in the food bowl and the mounted crab is not targeting any of the other crabs just the same crab from earlier & the crab keeps walking away from him. It’s 8am now & the mounted crab is still following the other one around and mounting it! The crab that was being mounted ended up hiding in a decoration & the mounted crab circled the area looking everywhere & eventually found the other crab. Now they are both in this small decoration hut & I know this crab has got to be annoyed. What is this behavior? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathon1989

Re: Guarding? Claiming? Bullying?

Post by jonathon1989 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 am

This seems to be mating behavior. Although this usually happens from June to July. The males will try to constantly mate with the females. However, I would watch them closely, because mating and aggressive behavior can be very similar.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 pm

When I first added two new crabs to the Tank they were doing that to each other I think it’s like they are just seeing what place they are in the clan

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:44 am

jonathon1989 wrote:This seems to be mating behavior. Although this usually happens from June to July. The males will try to constantly mate with the females. However, I would watch them closely, because mating and aggressive behavior can be very similar.
I just finally entered my room after running errands all day from this morning & all the crabs were out in the food bowl. The mounted crab is still trying to mount the same crab/following it around.

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:46 am

Hermielover121 wrote:When I first added two new crabs to the Tank they were doing that to each other I think it’s like they are just seeing what place they are in the clan

I’ve seen it happen a few times but never for this long. & I haven’t added any new crabs in a long time these have been here. But I just thought i’d ask because it’s only this pair doing this.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:47 pm

It's called guarding. :) It does have to do with mating :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Julsie wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:44 am
I just finally entered my room after running errands all day from this morning & all the crabs were out in the food bowl. The mounted crab is still trying to mount the same crab/following it around.

Yes, definitely, mating.