Crab Hobbies

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author

Crab Hobbies

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Do anyone elses crabs have "hobbies" or routines they go through? I remember someone posted lately about their crab who carried a spare shell around like a doll and slept curled up with it. One of mine (Timmy) does the same thing with the hygrometer - I've given up trying to take it off him and just let him play with it all the time now. I noticed recently Julian likes to try and climb the UTH cable, slide back down, try again...etc...for hours at a time. Bless him! x

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:18 pm

that is simply too cute!! but i've got one that "falls" off the drift wood into the fresh water bowl once he landed in the food :roll: so maybe they just do it when they get bored :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:40 pm

One of the Es in my 10G likes to hang on the hygrometer - hasn't figured out how to take it off yet. :roll:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:15 pm

I have one.... Patsy a large PP.....
She is the most shy of all the crabs in the tank... walk near and she hides....
She spends most of the time down under in Eco..
I can always tell when she is up....
She tears the tank apart...and hides things in the moss pits.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:40 pm

i have one that guards the food bowl, he has been in it for days, i take him out, he gets back in etc. it doesn't look like he's eating, just guarding the food i guess

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 am

One of my large PPs (Rocko, who turned 3 in January) loves to get on top of Big Red (my Jumbo Straw) when he is perched on top of the cholla wood. Also, Big Red likes to walk along the glass and scratch along the glass during the evening.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:04 pm

I have an E who keeps climbing up to the moss pit only to fall out of the only spot possible to fall from. I put a reptile vine across the front to remind him he's at the edge. He climbs across the reptile vine and falls from it now. I used to keep most of the extra shells under this moss pit, but have since scooted them over to soften his fall, go figure! :? I hope he's not so unhappy he's decided to end it all! :shock:

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Some of my crabbies used to dislodge the round humidity gauge and roll it around the tank. I would move the gauge back in place, but 5 minutes later the crabs would be rolling it around again. :?
Once I found a large cuttlebone floating in the salt water pool(I think someone was wanting to perhaps surf)
Have also found a dead guppy in the pool as well, dragged across the tat and just dumped in the water, maybe the crabbies were trying to revive it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:19 am

Troppo -do you keep guppies in your tat? If so how many and in what volume?

burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:44 pm

troppo that's cute! the only thing mine do ( that i can think of) is they tell me goodnight! they chirp and they know i'm gonna come see what they're up to and they are on opposite sides of the tat!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Mine have sponge tug of war. Professor & Scamp were on opposite sides of the sponge and actually playing tug of war.

I left to get my camera and when I came back Scamp won the game. :hlol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:55 pm

Awww that's so cute! I just failed to get a pic the same way though - ran to get my camera when I saw Julian with his "arm" around George. When I came back they were behaving themselves again.

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:15 pm

dodgydutch wrote:Troppo -do you keep guppies in your tat? If so how many and in what volume?
Nah, I do breed guppies for a pet-store though and if any die from natural causes, then they are placed in the tat as food for the crabbies. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:12 am

Big Momma likes to guard the large cocohut. Even if it's empty, she will stand guard at the door. She decides who gets in and who doesn't. She reminds me of a dorm mother making sure that everyone comes in on time....and if you don't [smilie=lecturef.gif]

Rhoney

Re: Crab Hobbies

Post by Rhoney » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:38 pm

dodgydutch wrote:I noticed recently Julian likes to try and climb the UTH cable, slide back down, try again...etc...for hours at a time. Bless him!

How does this happen? your UTH cable/mat shouldn't be in your tank as that would be dangerous for your crabs and can burn them if they make direct contact with it. Maybe you just worded it wrong? sorry but thought i should point it out.
Currently No Hermit Crabs until I am out of college, but I have over 5 years of crabbing experience, and much advice to offer :)