What'd I Do?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Texas

What'd I Do?

Post by Texas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:09 pm

On Saturday my friend brought her hermit crabs over to visit mine. While they crawled around in a box we built them a huge maze out of blocks. All went well when in the last race her big hermit wouldn't come out. It picked him up an tried to coax him. Unfortunately my finger was a little to close to his large claw. . . WHAM!!! He slammed shut on my finger. Talk about excruciating pain! AND HE WOULDN'T LET GO!!!!!! I tried to put him on the ground but he pinched harder, I put my hand under his shell so he could fell secure but he pinched harder, my parents tried to pry his claw off with tweezers but he pinched EVEN HARDER!!! I was crying by now. We dunked him in a bucket off water (my mom had frantically called the pet store), he still wouldn't let go! In fact he started pinching me with his other claw!! After a final hard squeeze he let go, my finger completely numb. Now all I have left is a big blood blister. My question is, was this crab scared or just :twisted: ? I'm starting to think maybe my own crabs would be better off in some-body's pot than in my tank waiting to amputate their loving caretaker's finger! :x

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Awww! I'm so sorry that happened. He was probably just really nervous. I've read that if you offer him an opportunity to climb onto a favorite climbie he will sometimes release to get to his favorite spot. That may help next time to prevent injury to you or your pet (like there will be a next time! huh?) :wink:

burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:05 pm

oww.

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm reeeeeallllly new to crabbing, but I'm thinking all of the frantic efforts to remove him scared the bejeezies out of him, making him pinch harder.

From what I've read here, just sitting still and letting them let go in their own time is the only thing you can do.

Hope your finger feels better....youchie!
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Why were you "racing" them in the first place? Hermit crabs do much better when you leave them alone. The only time they should be handled is when you perform a deep clean. I can tell you right now that the crab was scared to death because it was out of its habitat. They don't like to be moved around because they feel secure when they are in the same environment everyday.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:09 pm

He was probably scared. Next time you hold him, just wear a sock over your hand, or straighten your hand out so there's nothing to grab onto!
I've only had to do it once, but I think the best method is warm water.
hope that helps!

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Why were you "racing" them in the first place? Hermit crabs do much better when you leave them alone. The only time they should be handled is when you perform a deep clean. I can tell you right now that the crab was scared to death because it was out of its habitat. They don't like to be moved around because they feel secure when they are in the same environment everyday.
Hermit, I know you've been around this site for quite awhile. I've noticed that we're getting a lot new members, many of which are teenagers.

There are several opinions as to handling your crabs. I usually take one out at night to play with and let run around my desk. My husband plays with them for quite a bit of time each day, making him the extreme opposite of you, and I obviously am in the middle.

I think because our little ones are so used to be handled, they don't blink when we put a hand in front of them or ever try to get back into their shell - except for Harry Houdini, so we rarely handle him.

My point is that your posting was YOUR opinion, not a rule carved in stone.

Because there are people who do handle their crabs, and because as I said so many new members seem to young, I think it's better to try to educate them on handling their crabs, rather than making the no handling theory a caveat.

Texasrose- You should take a look as to what you were doing when you were racing your crabs. You have to be careful not to upset your crabs. If this is the first time this particular crab had ever bitten anyone, I would say you most likely had handled him too roughly and he probably was afraid and/or stressed. Crabs are fairly delicate creatures, and we all need to remember that. [smilie=soapbox.gif]

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:59 pm

While I agree with Gram that people will each take care of and handle their hermit crabs differently, there's a difference between taking them out to handle them for a few minutes and keeping them out for too long to the point they are uncomfortable since house conditions are no where near what they need to even just breathe properly.

The racing, while it may not be the best way to interact with your hermit crabs isn't what concerned me the most. The use of tweezers and dunking him in a bucket of water is what really stuck out for me. His claws could've been seriously injured using something metal (a material that will not give under pressure), plus they will never let go by prying open a claw. Also, dunking them in water, did anyone de-chlorinate the water first and make sure it wasn't too hot or cold? I would have to say that after doing those things, that's what made him hold on for such a long time. Not to mention he was probably already irritated from not having proper humidity conditions for awhile.

Tremors

Post by Tremors » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:49 pm

I've been pinched several times, and I've found that it helps to put your hand back in the tank near some climby things, so that the crab has something to climb onto. Then just hold still, because the crab doesn't really want to hold on to you all day. One reason that a crab may pinch you is because he doesn't want to fall off (just like they pinch their climbing toys), so trying to pry him off or wiggling isn't going to help. :)

Also, I think your crab pinched because he was scared, especially since you said he didn't want to come out. Next time it would probably be better not to have your friend bring her crabs over, or to race your crabs, because unless hermit crabs are used to a lot of handling (like Grammarcia's) I think it is stressful to them to be out of their cage for very long. Although I know you didn't mean to stress them. :wink:

Also, there are many different opinions on handling, and none are hard and fast rules. My opinion is that crabs don't mind being handled if they are used to it. It's a personal choice to handle with your crabs or not, so if you want to, it's fine, as long as you avoid stressing your crabs out. I wouldn't handle them at all for a few weeks, because they may need some time to themselves after they were played with for so long. :)
4 PPs: Petra (11 years), Big Crab (7 years), Rambunctious Crab (7 years), John Smith (1 year)
3 Es: Pacman, Captain Janeway, Googely-Bear (2 years)

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Tremors,

What you said is absolutely the same as I believe. Right now I have on a Chicago Cubs t-shirt on and Bibi has gone way past the Chicago line and appears she's trying to go down the other side. But believe me, if you handle your crabs you must take care of hem. Right now I,m typing with one hand - the other hand is near Bibi in case she lets go. Okay, two hands are back on the keypad because she's crawling on my neck and she keeps going back and forth so I better see what she's up to!

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:24 pm

PS All right Bibi - that's enough. You've been perching of my left shoulder, and now you're going towards the left.

Bibi -I can type as fast as you let me. So sweetheart, it's been a long time for you for me. Actually, it's bed time for me , so sweet dreams, Bibi.

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Ouch! That whole thing had me cringing... lol. I think I am going to stick to the tiny guys.

[smilie=wow.gif]

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

pujolsLVR wrote:Ouch! That whole thing had me cringing... lol. I think I am going to stick to the tiny guys.

[smilie=wow.gif]
Yeah, but eventually they will grow and get larger. The trick is to NOT do anything that will frighten them and make them want to pinch (like racing them).

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 5:34 pm

I agree with hermit_of_hermit_crabs on this completely. I don't see the point in handling your crabs (just my opinion) It kinda defeats the purpose of keeping your tank the right humidity, heat, Ect. If you are just going to take them out of these conditions.
Hermit, I know you've been around this site for quite awhile. I've noticed that we're getting a lot new members, many of which are teenagers.

Because there are people who do handle their crabs, and because as I said so many new members seem to young, I think it's better to try to educate them on handling their crabs, rather than making the no handling theory a caveat.
I do not understand the point you are trying to make. I think that teenagers are completely capable of taking care of there crabs, if they are serious about the hobby.
Also if they are younger, wouldn't it be better to tell them not to handle the crabs, as they are most likely not as gentle or controlled with them as an old teenager or adult would be
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 6:21 pm

*Sigh* Not another handling thread....

I have stated my opinions on handling countless times however, people are going to keep handling there crabs regardless because that is there "choice". However, I think that we should respect that hermit crabs are wild animals and try to keep them alive inside the tank and not abuse them by racing or other forms of mishandling

I will occasionally handle my crabs and even hand feed them however, I do not take them out of the tank and even then it's only for short periods of time. So-just to clarify, I am not against small amounts of handling however, extended forced periods of "racing" for example should never be done in my opinion.

The reason your crab pinched you should be obvious. Clearly the poor crab was not happy with the situation he was forced into and was simply defending himself. If your going to keep "racing" your crabs, getting pinched is going to be a risk you have to take :roll:

Cheers....
SP.
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 02, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.