What'd I Do?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 6:38 pm

^_^ wrote:
Hermit, I know you've been around this site for quite awhile. I've noticed that we're getting a lot new members, many of which are teenagers.

Because there are people who do handle their crabs, and because as I said so many new members seem to young, I think it's better to try to educate them on handling their crabs, rather than making the no handling theory a caveat.
Now I'm not understanding. You said you agree with Hermit. Yet two paragraphs of your posting are things said by me in a previous post, without attributing them to me. The quotes above are from my posting.

Now the following quote is from you, ^_^:
I do not understand the point you are trying to make. I think that teenagers are completely capable of taking care of there crabs, if they are serious about the hobby.
Also if they are younger, wouldn't it be better to tell them not to handle the crabs, as they are most likely not as gentle or controlled with them as an old teenager or adult would be
Back to me. It seems like you're saying it's okay to handle crabs, which is the opposite of Hermit's remarks. As for little kids, I would expect that they would be under parental supervision when they're physically holding any crab.

So folks, what is every one trying to say here?

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 6:44 pm

I'm pretty sure it was just a mistake. He probably didn't know about the Quote paragraph ability.... :roll:

Clearly he agrees with Hermit_of_Hermit Crabs. Obviously you knew it was your post and I would bet that most everyone else did as well. So, did it really need to be pointed out? :roll:

Example of sentence quoting...
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 02, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 6:46 pm

I am newer to owning hermit crabs, so maybe I don't know. But I think that taking your crabs out side of the tank and letting them run around, just adds stress and is not necessary. There for I personally would not race them. Or have your friend bring hers from her house to yours so they could "play" together

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Stevie wrote:I am newer to owning hermit crabs, so maybe I don't know. But I think that taking your crabs out side of the tank and letting them run around, just adds stress and is not necessary. There for I personally would not race them. Or have your friend bring hers from her house to yours so they could "play" together
Don't worry stevie, you are on the right track in my eyes...

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Grammarcia wrote: Now I'm not understanding. You said you agree with Hermit. Yet two paragraphs of your posting are things said by me in a previous post, without attributing them to me. The quotes above are from my posting.

Now the following quote is from you, ^_^: Back to me. It seems like you're saying it's okay to handle crabs, which is the opposite of Hermit's remarks. As for little kids, I would expect that they would be under parental supervision when they're physically holding any crab.

lol my bad>.< I forgot to quote your paragraphs.
I do agree with Hermit_of_hermit_crabs. I was just saying that if you do handle your crabs, that it make more sense for an older person to handle them than a younger person, because someone older has more control [smilie=whistle.gif]

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 8:55 pm

So I guess I'm the only one that sees the fact that tweezers were used to pry open his claw and the crab being dunked in warm water as the bigger issue...

Obviously the crab was cranky about being forced into conditions that made him uncomfortable. House humidity (usually 40%) is going to make it harder for them to breathe the longer they're in it. It's like if you stuck someone in a room that there wasn't anywhere near enough oxygen in the air for them, at first it wouldn't be horrible but after time it would get worse and worse. Maybe not the best example, but it gives a good idea.

Me, I don't handle my crabs, but it's always going to be something that everyone does differently, there's no changing that. And while I would hope the parents would be supervising, this doesn't sound like an issue where the crabs were being dropped, tossed around, something that a parent that knows nothing about hermit crabs would notice and stop (I suggested that the parents don't know anything about crabs since using tweezers and warm water are nothing that anyone with the slightest hermit knowledge would ever do), to them everything was fine and the kids and crabs were having fun.

Post by Guest » Fri May 02, 2008 10:34 pm

So I guess I'm the only one that sees the fact that tweezers were used to pry open his claw and the crab being dunked in warm water as the bigger issue...

No, I agree with you. Clearly, there was a serious lack of knowledge or care when trying to remove the crab, using tweezers would (and did) make the crab clamp harder...

However, if they had not tried to "race their crabs" in the first place, none of this would have happened. So, I see that as the root of the problem.

Unfortunately , there is alot of web sites that encourage daily handling as well as "crab racing". It's sad to see ignorance take it's toll on the crabs....

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri May 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Ok ladys and gents take a breather and calm down! lol. No need to get fussy, Someone stated their opinion and another stated there's. Just everyone understand and just respectfully take their comment in one eye and out the other. :P :lol:

Lyn Penn

Racing your Crabs

Post by Lyn Penn » Tue May 06, 2008 6:35 pm

This is something that is hard for me to understand, whether it's racing crabs or dogs. It is so foreign to the poor things that you know they had to be scared to death. Pinching you was natural to them, so don't blame them for letting you know " I don't want to do this!" Please don't race them anymore, it really is irresponsible.
Proud Mom to Princess (lab) PP's , , Humphrey ,Heloise. andHershey my Crabbie Angels Hercules, Hanry VIII, Henry the 9th, Harry, Hymes Hermione, Harriet, Hanibal and Heidi,and Helen and special Horatio and Herman,and Harvey Huckleberry and Happy and Humberto Hulio Herkimer and precious Hubert

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:02 pm

i play with my crabs and they never bite me.

heehee, out of curiosity, which crab won the race :)

(joke and attempt to lighten mood).

as long as care is taken not to stress the crabs (i.e regularly handled for short periods of time), i dont see the problem. i doubt they were aware of being "raced" theyd have just been wandering around climbing. And i doubt any pressure was put on the crabs to "win" like in dog or horse racing (which i totally disagree with).

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:48 pm

we must not assume the worst when someone says "racing" from the information given it seems her and a friend set up a bunch of blocks and let their crabbies play in them. i doubt that by "racing" she meant electro shock them into running, its not like they had bets going here!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:51 pm

this just sounds like a bunch of issues trying to arise every one has their on ideas on handling crabs and no ones going to make every one agree or see their point of view there will always be that one that wont agree. so why argue? just look at it like you would politically just kinda keep it to urself and do what you want with ur hermies as long as it doesn't put them in any sort of danger

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 pm

ooww...

Sorry to hear you having a bloody finger....
Anyway if your friend bought new crabs, shouldn't he or she try to leave them in peace for a week? Sometimes hermies are distressed can pinch or it could be hungry and thing that you are food. Mine does...

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 pm

When pinched, do not move your hand even the slightest bit, and gently blow on the crab's face as if you were fogging up a window.

Many people swear by this trick to get crabs to come out of their shells(for inspections in case of injury), and to get crabs to release their hold.

Of course, I'm one of the many of the opinion that mandhandling your hermit crabs is an extremely poor habit to get into.

burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:59 pm

i sometimes take mine out for like 5 minutes and let them crawl on my bed. i think its up to the owner as to whether to take them out or not. just my [smilie=penny.gif]