idea on crab chirp

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
brad873

idea on crab chirp

Post by brad873 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:03 am

sorry if this is the wrong place. i think i may have found how crabs chirp. there are lots of ideas. one is that they rub legs together and such, but if that's true, how does it still work for a molted crab? i don't believe its internal plates that are rubbed together, but there mouth parts. if you look very closely at a crab cleaning itself, you will see that above the mouth parts, are a secondary pair of them. i first noticed them on Ruby before she died, and then i found them on Nova. and i have also seen them on Thunder. after her molt, Nova never hardened properly, and soon after she died. it was after this i noticed something about the mouth parts. the tips of the secondary ones are hard or rubbery. they remain hard even when molted. i think it is possible that these parts are rubbed along the top of their main mouth parts. this would explain why a crab chirp sounds like 2 wet elastic bands being rubbed together. what do you think?

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:48 am

i think this is a plausable idea, so why not look into it a bit

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:54 am

Sounds like a good theory.
But I've never heard my crabs chirp, so I just take y'all's word for it. :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:06 am

~*shrugs*~ There are lots of things it could be. Without observing a crab in great detail while actually chirping, it's hard to even wager a guess. It could even be as simple as them grinding their teeth together. (They have 3 teeth in their stomach.)

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 am

well then, lets make it our goal to get a picture of a chirping crab. although grinding their internal teeth would be a bit muffled, and why risk eroding them?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:47 am

Not necessarily... How loud can your stomach grumble? And that's not even teeth, that's just air. And grinding of teeth is natural. You do it every time you eat. Many people do it as they sleep. (Trust me, I do it.) Also, there are animals that rely on the grinding of a calciferous style to process their food. Grinding is common in all animals. Erosion as a result is not going to deter them. :wink:

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:56 am

but grinding teeth while eating is not the same. the food creates a soft layer that helps protect teeth. humans can rotate their bottom jaws in all direction, many other animals cannot. i used to grind my teeth, and now i hurts to brush my canines, alot. a stomach grumble still sounds muffled, you can tel there is a layer of fat over it. rubbing the second mouth parts is a logical idea, as is the rubbing of inner teeth, but the inner teeth would make a significantly different sound. but i do believe that the teeth are used in a different chirp. i had help my crabs and head them make sounds that sounds like stones banging together.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:00 pm

lol ~*shakes head*~ You're neglecting other instances I had stated, but that's fine. I just don't agree that it's the mouth parts as they are actually rather fuzzy and soft in comparison. AND they are shed with every molt. Every surface covered in exo must be shed with every molt. That is my point. Take it as you will.

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:21 pm

i know they are shed during molt, but the primary and secondary pair still both have the rubbery black tips, or at least the secondary ones do. i may be wrong, but i have never seen the secondary ones on an exo

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:34 pm

All exo covered surfaces are molted including all limbs modified as mouth parts. :)

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 pm

interesting. if you ever have a full exo, look for the secondary mouth parts. we all know they are real, just hard to see. i think this will be a very interesting thing to look into, i just wish i had a vocal crab. are there any membes hear with chirpy crabs who dont like to be held?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Brad, check your PMs... I sent you something

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:08 pm

and i am very grateful, it is very interesting. i am going to try and find some diagrams on the internal anatomy of hermits, there must be somethings good on the web

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Brad

I posted this on another thread that Brad started about breeding crabs. I would just like to share it with you all on this thread.
Unfortunately I doubt I'll be around in another 20 years, but I find you to be a very interesting poster. Your ideas never fail to get me thinking. You come up with so many novel ideas, questions and, the best of all, theories. :smt038

I make it a point to read all of your postings because what ever you may be, boring is not it. And, miracle of miracles, your spelling has improved tremendously (we knew you could do it!). :study:

At the rate you're going, someday I'll be able to say "Brad? Yes, I know Brad. I've known him since he was a young person. He was a member of HCA. No wonder he's getting a Nobel Prize for ____________. (We can fill out the blank at a later time).
:king:

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:29 am

:hlol: :hlol: :hlol: me, not boring?ha ha, if only everyone else felt the same. i usually put any ideas i get up hear,because no one i know really gives a dang in my town.
but i have always respected you as well gram, you are very interlectual