I saw one of my clypeatus hunting isopods last night!!! :D

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

I saw one of my clypeatus hunting isopods last night!!! :D

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 pm

I am very sorry to say that I did not get video. :( But it was so cool to watch! :D I have never seen them hunt before, only heard stories. The isopods call home in the the bases of the cholla wood I have in the tank. They scurry around going in and out of the different holes. I saw Poopy (that's her name) sticking her small claw in one hole, a walking leg in another, and her antennas working over time feeling any place she could on the cholla. She was wiggling her walking leg, I think trying to flush them out. At one point, a large one came out, and she chased it with lightning speed a couple inches across the cholla before it disappeared into a hole. She didn't catch it, but it was really something to see!

She eventually found a dead on on the ground near the cholla, and pounced on it like she had made a kill. :lol: She ate 3/4 of it and went on her merry way.

But now I know why I have been seeing half eaten isopods around. :o I have hunters in my tank.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

gpw9167

Re: I saw one of my clypeatus hunting isopods last night!!!

Post by gpw9167 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

That is so cool, I also have some isopods in my tank. I put about 10 in, and have seen one occasionally but I haven't seen any half eaten. Maybe I will go outside and see if I can round up some more. There is a rock by the cow tank that I can look under and are sure to find a hand full.

You'll have to keep your eyes out for little stalkers in the night! :smt117
2 - cats (Stormy, Gypsy) <<<<>>>>> 2 - parakeets (Polly, Snake)
6 - PP's (Jasmin, Smalls,The Rock, Gary, Big Guy, Wizzer ) 8 -E's (Fluffy, Henry, Sal, Lucky, Charles, Stormey, Larry, Moe)
6 - goldfish
1 - husband , 3 - children

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:26 pm

that is sooo kool!
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 pm

I think it's great that you actually got to watch it. :) I'm not surprised that they try for the live ones after what I've seen mine do to live waxworms and mealworms, but I wonder if they ever actually manage to catch the live isopods or if they always have to settle for ones that have died.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Craftycrabber

Post by Craftycrabber » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm

What is an isopod?
Don't worry about the storms of life but rather learn to dance in the rain.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 pm

An order of crustacean. :) So somewhat closely related to our little hermit crabs. They breathe through gills, like our hermits. There are many different species with many different lifestyles, some marine, some terrestrial, some equipped for a little of both!
Crabby since May 2009

Craftycrabber

Post by Craftycrabber » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:43 pm

thank you very much
Don't worry about the storms of life but rather learn to dance in the rain.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Am I the only one who grew up calling these rolly-pollies? I was going to say, "It's commonly called a rolly-polly," but then I realized I actually don't know if that name is common or not!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I had never heard of a rolly-polly until I joined the HCA. I grew up calling them pill bugs. (Never even knew they were called sow bugs either!)

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I have heard "pill bug" and "sow bug," too, but we always called them rolly-pollies. A silly name, perhaps, but cuter than "sow bug," anyway! I always thought they were adorable and fascinating. And fun! I did not, however, realize that they were crustaceans! Learn something new every day!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Have you seen the orange variety and all the other patterns that they have for sale online? (Wolf was the one who pointed these out to me originally.) http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Isopods_c15.htm I'm hoping this summer to be able to start a small colony of something neat! :D

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Ok...could someone inform me of their benefit? I'm not sure I could ever be "cool" with bugs in my crabitat. But id would like to learn more about them.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
18 crabs! PP'S (sammy, ignats, puffeley, doofenshmirtz, phineas, ferb, perry and squirmy) E'S (herman, lady bug, zo) RUGGIES (meep, major monogram and carl) BLUES (beauford and baljeet) INDOS (candace and isabella)
5 fish, 3 cats and a human kid.

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:22 pm

DragonsFly wrote:Am I the only one who grew up calling these rolly-pollies? I was going to say, "It's commonly called a rolly-polly," but then I realized I actually don't know if that name is common or not!
Deffinetly rolly-pollies! I believe that's the latin name. :grin::mrgreen: Hahahha
18 crabs! PP'S (sammy, ignats, puffeley, doofenshmirtz, phineas, ferb, perry and squirmy) E'S (herman, lady bug, zo) RUGGIES (meep, major monogram and carl) BLUES (beauford and baljeet) INDOS (candace and isabella)
5 fish, 3 cats and a human kid.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

fate4003 wrote:Ok...could someone inform me of their benefit? I'm not sure I could ever be "cool" with bugs in my crabitat. But id would like to learn more about them.

They eat decaying food that the crabs drag around and into weird places, so it reduces your chances of getting mold and mites. They're little custodians. Plus, they're cute!! :D And they serve as an extra source of protein for your crabbies. 8)
Crabby since May 2009

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:40 pm

wodesorel wrote:Have you seen the orange variety and all the other patterns that they have for sale online? (Wolf was the one who pointed these out to me originally.) http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Isopods_c15.htm I'm hoping this summer to be able to start a small colony of something neat! :D
I want the giant ones, so bad!! :( I just got the cheapest ones on the site when I ordered. :P
Crabby since May 2009