I saw one of my clypeatus hunting isopods last night!!! :D

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Re: I saw one of my clypeatus hunting isopods last night!!!

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:45 am

I tell my little guys that size doesn't matter. :P
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:11 am

wolfnipplechips wrote:I tell my little guys that size doesn't matter. :P
Bahahahahhahahahahhaah

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
18 crabs! PP'S (sammy, ignats, puffeley, doofenshmirtz, phineas, ferb, perry and squirmy) E'S (herman, lady bug, zo) RUGGIES (meep, major monogram and carl) BLUES (beauford and baljeet) INDOS (candace and isabella)
5 fish, 3 cats and a human kid.

Someoneman

Post by Someoneman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm

That's one of those giant antarctic marine isopods, right? I wonder if it would be worth my while to get a colony for my 20g? The little ones that is! I doubt I could fit one of those suckers.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:14 pm

I just watched a planet earth video, there were tons of those suckers eating a carcass at the bottom of the ocean. But until I see them in real life, they will always be little roly polies to me :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Paws&Claws

Post by Paws&Claws » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:41 pm

I didn't know crabs could eat those! There's always tons of them around here in the spring.
2 PP's: Keo and Conan the Conqueror
1 E: Cosmo

Opt to adopt crabs! Don't take them out of the wild by ordering them online or buying them from pet stores!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 pm

I had to share:

I tried putting in a live cricket with my Es to see what happened. The Es LOVE freshly died crickets so I know it's their favorite food. The cricket in question was a huge male that was too large for my scorpions so I wanted to see what would happen.

For the last month the cricket has been sitting in the food dish, serenading the Es as they eat his dead brethren. :hlol: The crab either haven't been able to catch him or they just don't care.

(As for me, I'm just happy that this one doesn't sound like the last cricket - someone let that guy into the red bull and pixie sticks! I was waiting for him to catch fire. :lol: )
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 pm

That puts such a cute picture in my head. :lol:
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 pm

I have to wonder if he was mourning his dead brethren, or making a snack out of them :| Either way, thats cool :D Maybe if you tried putting him in the freezer for a couple minutes one of the crabbies could keep up to him?
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.

Silver Buttons

Post by Silver Buttons » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 pm

I was just thinking of hunting around in the woods as soon as the weather is warm, so I can find some roly-polies (I grew up calling them pill bugs) for my crabitat. I live in Arizona, which is generally too dry for them, but you can find them in wetter places like in the woods, under rocks and logs, if you look hard enough. There's also a small, swampy area nearby that I might check out. I got a couple of nice tree branches for the 'tat from that area. :) I am glad to see that the bugs are sold online, in case I can't find enough. They're so cool looking, especially those bright orange ones! I take it they do okay in the slightly salty soil of a crabitat?
My DeviantArt account
~*~*~*~~*~*~
My 2 PPs: Beatrix & Jasper. ^_^

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:06 am

I've heard something about watching out for the orange bugs! :shock: so watch out! You may wanna do a little more research before you put any in!

Ashmash

I saw one of my clypeatus hunting isopods last night!!! :D

Post by Ashmash » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:20 am

I love my rolly-pollies!!! I started with 30 of the white variety in my 55 and their population has exploded. They do such a good job keeping things clean in there. I haven't changed my EE for over a year and they keep everything nice and clean. I am actually thinking about selling some. PM me if you're interested.
9 PPs and 3 Es in a 55 gal!!!

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:27 pm

RockyGurly wrote:I have to wonder if he was mourning his dead brethren, or making a snack out of them :| Either way, thats cool :D Maybe if you tried putting him in the freezer for a couple minutes one of the crabbies could keep up to him?
That hardly sounds fair. RockyGurly, scourge of crickets. :wink:
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dragoneyez32

Post by Dragoneyez32 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:32 am

I think since it's been so warm here I'm going to catch me a few this summer. I just have to smuggle them in without anyone seeing them, fiance and roomies would have a FIT! I've never seen a bluish/purplish one, maybe ours our super healthy? I used to roll them up and flick them as a child
3 PPs (Gigantor, Copycat and Spazz), 1 E (Spidey), 1 Golden Retriever (Kira), 2 Lionhead rabbits (Fuzz and Snow), 4 human babies, (5 if you count the fiance), and a partridge in a pear tree!

KrabbeMami

Post by KrabbeMami » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:05 pm

ROFL! This whole feed has me laughing so hard! :hlol:
I had put about 15 rollies into my old 20 gal. I upgraded to a 29, moved as much of my old substrate over as was clean enough to and now need to get more rollies. I only see a couple roaming around. I had to laugh a little at that website selling them. I'm in NY and they're EVERYWHERE so the idea of buying them seemed odd at first :lol:
Now seems like a great time to grab my 5 year old DD and go grab a few from the garden :wink:
1 PP ~ Shelly (2 molts)
2 E's ~ Jasper (3 molts) and Herbie (2 molts)