Hermit Crab Activity?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Energizer13

Hermit Crab Activity?

Post by Energizer13 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:36 pm

How do you guys keep your hermit crabs active and out in the daytime exploring their tank?

kuza

Re: Hermit Crab Activity?

Post by kuza » Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm

PP's seem to hang out less during the day then E's do. But I find that having semi-enclosed but not fully enclosed hang out spots has been working well. They can sit on the top of the cholla and plants kind of keep him hidden but I can still view him. I also have lots of climbers to hang out on and they love it. Also I don't have any real "hidey" huts, it's a mosh pitt, a log and then plants/cholla. I'm sure if I put a cave in, I'd never seem hem anymore.

Last edited by kuza on Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue May 01, 2012 5:55 pm

If theres lots of places to hide and be sheltered while out and about, they'll usually feel a little braver and explore more :) However, crabs are by nature nocturnal. So we can't try to force them to act otherwise :) If mine are out during the day, they're out in the shady sheltered area with large hideys and plants :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue May 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Also, having a shell shop that's well covered means I get to watch them shell shop, often. I don't think a day has gone by that i haven't seen shell shopping, and I've seen at least 1 shell change a week, maybe more on average.

whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Tue May 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Kuza, you should give us a step by step intruction guide for that cholla centrepiece sometime! It's amazing!
Also, how exactly did you make the incline for the water pools?
One more question! :O Where did you get all your vines and how did you attach the suction cups to them?
Oh wait! >.< one more! How big is your 'tat?
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue May 01, 2012 7:09 pm

29 gallon. And I made a post in the do it yourself section called "cholla jungle gym project" but it could be more detailed. For the pools I could dig up some photos, it's double Tupperware bowls inside each other, with knitting plastic mesh cut and tied down with plastic ties to the bowls.

The plants are the small and medium plastic and silk ones from the pet store. Some stick good, some had to he helped with those bigger suction hooks.

whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Tue May 01, 2012 7:12 pm

kuza wrote:29 gallon. And I made a post in the do it yourself section called "cholla jungle gym project" but it could be more detailed. For the pools I could dig up some photos, it's double Tupperware bowls inside each other, with knitting plastic mesh cut and tied down with plastic ties to the bowls.

The plants are the small and medium plastic and silk ones from the pet store. Some stick good, some had to he helped with those bigger suction hooks.
Thank you very much! :D I'll check out the DIY post!
Where did you get the plastic mesh, and why double tupperware bowls?
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm

the double bowls in case there is a molter underneath I can change the water without the chance of the walls caving in on him, otherwise it's just for strength when lift the water in and out. My Photobucket account I. My Sig has some close ups of it in the tank album. The knitting mesh you buy at the craft store like Michaels. And it's my pleasure to help out so ask as many questions as you like. :-)

whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Tue May 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you, thank you! :D I've been meaning to get larger water dishes and these are just perfect. The double bowls is a very good idea. :]

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun May 06, 2012 6:51 pm

I've noticed that the more cover mine have, the more likely they are to come out and explore since they feel safe. :) It can be hard to decorate a tank all at once, but a fake plant this week and a wood hide a few weeks from now is a totally okay way to make it more comfortable for them!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram