The newest member of the family - a Fat Tailed Gecko! :D

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

The newest member of the family - a Fat Tailed Gecko! :D

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:31 pm

Herps Alive in Cleveland took in some hermits a couple months ago, and they still had two and were doing an adoption event this past Saturday about a half hour from me. (Instead of the nearly two hour drive to their main facility.) I contacted them and set up arrangements to adopt the crabs.

.... I was not really expecting to fall in love with a little gecko! We talked with the owner for a bit - we worked with him in January on an event at the local animal shelter - and that's when I noticed the little guy in a cup. He was missing his tail. And he was soooo sweet looking. And I had absolutely everything I needed for him already at home. And the adoption fee was only $25... so...

This is our new gecko. He's a 3.5 year old African Fat-Tailed Gecko. And I think his previous owners may have been neglecting him since he's underweight but has a super appetite. :( He also dropped his tail at the rescue about a week ago. They said they fed him, walked past a few minutes later, and his tail was gone. No sign of regrowth yet. I don't know much about geckos to know if this is okay.

He does this adorable little rump shudder whenever he seems food. And he comes up to the edge of the glass and looks down. I'm not used to my critters having such good spacial reasoning! And the moment he sees me moving he sticks his head out. (Probably thinking I have food for him. :lol: )

Yeah, I'm a little enamored of him..... :hearts:

Missing his tail...

I finally found the perfect use for the driftwood from wolfnipplechips!!

Cage - it's a 15 gallon vintage slate-bottom. I'll probably upgrade him to a more natural looking 30 gallon breeder later this summer when I get stuff moved around. Don't have anything I can put an 18 inch wide tank on at the moment.

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

fantasybookworm

Re: The newest member of the family - a Fat Tailed Gecko! :D

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Oh man, he's so adorable!!! I can't blame you for being in love & for having been unable to say no. I really need to rescue a gecko or two someday. They're such cute little babies.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:20 pm

I love him! That first pic cracked me up. He looks like a teeny velociraptor.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Oh my goodness, he's cute! I love the first pic too. Congrats!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm

He is so stinkin cute!

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:14 pm

He's adorable! I love the first picture the most heh I had a couple leopard geckos over my time so far. Lots of fun.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:00 am

If you haven't got a name I totally suggest the not so original; Stumpy! :lol:

I hope it (the tail) grow back on this little guy, I can totally see why you fell for him.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:45 am

His eyes kinda freak me out, but they are so cool! He's adorable. You made a good choice on getting him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 pm

So adorable! I had a fatty named Gabriella awhile ago!
Do fat tailed geckos regrow their tails? What are you naming him?
14 PPs
Follow my hermie instagram account: jellyhermies

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Leopard geckos actually kind of freak me out a bit - it's the see through eyelids. They look like naked baby birds. *shudder* :hlol:

Stumpy was the original name for Goji. ;) It works all well and good until the missing parts regenerate! :lol:

No name yet. I wish it was a female so I could call it "Clever Girl"....

His tail is supposed to regrow, but it's been over a week and there's no sign of healing or regeneration yet. It's probably because of his overall body condition, but there is a very slim chance it won't grow back. All we can do is keep tossing in the food and get him to where he has enough extra energy to start regrowing it. It's not going to look like his original, but it'll serve it's purpose as fat storage.

Speaking of food, I keep doing research on the species and I think I'm rather lucky to not have a picky eater. Apparently Fat-Tailed are much more likely to get hooked than Leopards to one kind of food and will refuse everything else offered. So far he'll take crickets, mealworms, superworms, waxworms (at the rescue, I can't find any local!), and dubia nymphs. If it moves, he catches it. If it's calcium dusted and white, he doesn't hesitate at all. Which is good, because I have enough picky eaters in this house. ;)

The guy at Pets Supplies Plus told me they never get in Fat Taileds. He used to work at Petsmart and same thing there. (Ran out of food, had to stop because my normal place is keeping shorter hours because of their new baby.) He said I was really lucky to have found it. :D I haven't had a chance to ask at my normal pet shop to see if it's something they have. I know they get in a lot of different geckos, but I can't say I've seen Fat Taileds there either. He's a big city gecko! :lol:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:43 pm

I could never get my Leo to eat superworms. The ones I find are HUGE though. Sounds like you'll have him back to full health in no time!
wodesorel wrote:Leopard geckos actually kind of freak me out a bit - it's the see through eyelids. They look like naked baby birds. *shudder* :hlol:
Awww. I think my Lizard Ninja is cute. :-P

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:51 pm

wodesorel wrote:No name yet. I wish it was a female so I could call it "Clever Girl"....
Ah, yes, one of my favorite scenes from the original Jurassic Park film (all geared up to see Jurassic World next week). Your little guy is just adorable so, were I in your shoes, I would have plunked down my $$, too!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:16 pm

I would say if it is underweight and possibly came from a neglected home that his tail regeneration will take some extra time,but it will happen, there are few species of geckos that the tail does not grow back, I think the crested gecko is one. Yours is very cute though wode. Don't over feed with the wax worms though, it's like junk food for us. It will help get the weight back but not in the healthiest way. I used a varied diet with my geckos, crickets and meal worms were staples, then super and wax worms were once a week treats. I know that you will take good care of it. Your the type of person who cares and will educate yourself to each animals needs. Good luck on your new baby very cute!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:48 am

I haven't been able to update this lately!

He's doubled in weight (79 grams at last weigh in) and his tail has stopped growing. It took a few months before it was back to size, but it's seriously stumpy. (These photos are about a month old but it's not much bigger now.)

I named him Blaze. After a Barbie horse....

Also did not realize just how thin and pale he was originally until I compared pictures!

Before:
After:

Before:
After:

He's also become the most picky eater I have. The only think he'll eat are medium crickets and they have to be white with calcium powder. :hlol: When he got here he would eat anything that moved!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:25 am

He looks great!