Question For Those With Cats and Crabs

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Finally got my remaining two crabs shipped; they arrived alive and active and are happily exploring the 120 high.

Problem: my two cats were happy to ignore the tank before there were moving critters in it, but now one of them is sitting right on top of the glass lids and watching the crabs with fascination. I shooed her off a couple of times, but it is just too tempting for her; and I won't be able to keep her off when I'm not here (or sleeping!).

I never had this issue before, because where the crabitat was didn't really allow for the cats to get on top of it (and it had light panels on top so if they ever had jumped up there, they wouldn't have had that much plain glass to look through). But now, it's a thing.

So, for those of you familiar with large tanks and glass lids, do you think this is a problem, are the lids likely to break? Or do you think the glass lids are plenty strong enough and I should just let them "watch cat TV" from atop the 'tat?
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Hermiesguardian

Re: Question For Those With Cats and Crabs

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:15 pm

My dog likes to watch them sometimes. Personally, I think the glass lids might break. Better safe than sorry. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks, HG; any ideas about how I might discourage perching/lurking on the top?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:13 pm

This is why I went with a screen lid, and covered it with a pad made from plastic wrapped fabric covered cardboard. Solid so they can't see through it, and solid enough for them to sleep on and bounce off of. Since it's heated, it has become their favorite bed, and Ms. Rug can bebop around upside on the lid as much as she wants undisturbed. I know my idiots would jump up there and shatter anything glass! Also, a glass lid would not be safe from cat vomit, it would dribble right into the tank. (Two IBD/lymphoma kitties with access to the tank.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:17 pm

Only my brain-damaged mini-cat likes to get up on the tank and watch 'crabby TV'. She only weighs 5 pounds, and I have a plexi glass lid. When I only had saran wrap, I had to keep the door to the room locked so there were no cat-related mishaps.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks all!

My cats are "mini," too--stunted-growth rescues--they are only about 6 or 7 pounds each. I haven't seen the boy (who is heavier) up there at all, only the smaller girl. The notion of making the lid opaque somehow is probably the best one; if she can't see down through it, she'll just have to watch "the crab channel" from the side.

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:43 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:15 pm
My dog likes to watch them sometimes. Personally, I think the glass lids might break. Better safe than sorry. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That picture of your dog is adorable, by the way! :D

― G.K. Chesterton

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:23 pm

DragonsFly wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:43 am
That picture of your dog is adorable, by the way! :D
Thank you.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:08 am

My idiot cat used to go on top of the tank way more often when I used a heat lamp. She would curl up around it. I was so scared that her fur would start on fire! I now have a wire mental lid so when she goes on top of it now, I'm not too worried. I think the glass lid should be strong enough to hold your cat.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:48 am

Thanks, Autumn! Both my crabs went down for awhile and the cats decided that "crab TV" was no longer interesting. So I've put off changing anything. If/when the crabs come back up and stay up for awhile, I'll revisit, but I think you are probably right.

― G.K. Chesterton

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:18 am

@Hermiesguardian that picture is soooo adorable! I want more people to share their pets watching ‘the crab channel!’ Seriously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:20 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:18 am
@Hermiesguardian that picture is soooo adorable! I want more people to share their pets watching ‘the crab channel!’ Seriously! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know. :lol: