Cost of Hermit Crabs in Your Area

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Cost of Hermit Crabs in Your Area

Post by AutumnFalls » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Hey guys, I know it's a random question but I'm curious. I was at my local Petland today and noticed that the cost of a hermit crab had more than doubled! They used to be between $6-$10 depending on the size. Now, a small hermit crab is $21! I'm guessing it's because the Canada-US border is basically closed and there's a supply issue. But, it got me curious. How much are hermit crabs in your area and how do they price them? They used to separate them by "fancy shells" and "normal shells" and charge more for fancy shells. Now, it's just large and small crabs at different prices.

Side note: I was very happy with their setup. Not only did the crabs have fresh food, they were also at 80% humidity. :D

Spocktopus

Re: Cost of Hermit Crabs in Your Area

Post by Spocktopus » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:21 pm

One of the main reasons I got back into crabbing is how cheap they are in my area. A small crab at a beachside store or gift shop is usually about 1.99, while at petsmart/Petco they're usually 3.99 or 4.99 USD. Jumbos can go anywhere from 10-15 USD in some places, and they're selling very large crabs at my local Petco right now for the flat rate of 3.99. The Petco I go to does charge an extra dollar for a "fancy" shell, but the employees didn't seem to mind charging me 3.99 for my fancy crab :). It's all the stuff inside the tank that cost the big money for me.
~ stay cool ~
pet dad to Dottie the dog + Scuttle and Tank the purple pinchers

Theresa Howard

Post by Theresa Howard » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 pm

I adopted all 7 of my crabs. The first 3 I paid 50usd and they came with a 40gal tank and some supplies. the other 4 were just given to me with a 37gal tank and stand and tons of supplies. The first group came from craigslist and the second came from FB marketplace. The hermit crab industry is horrible, that's why I adopted. Please look into adopting if you're getting more crabs.
-Theresa

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:25 am

The local pet smart near me sells them for $6.29 each. Their setup is actually very correct and all natural shells used.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:50 am

My local shop tries to order in natural shelled smalls, and sells all their hermits for $7. She found jumbos at an expo years ago and bought them for me to take and she said they were $15 each, but we were really tight on money at the time and I know she felt horrible for them so may have "rescued" them out of her own pocket. (None of the three made it though.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:52 am

Betta fish have gone sky high though! Our walmarts used to sell them for $4, but they all stopped. The local chain has their cheapest at $13 now up to $30, and our local shop regularly has $17 ones.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:03 am

My local pet store sells them for 7 USD for a small crab, but 15 for the ones with painted shells (ugh).
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 am

Topsail Island, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC both have similar offers of free crabs with purchase of one of those little plastic carriers for $11.99...or a crab only for $3.99, most were small-medium size. These were both beach shops with poor conditions and painted shells ...and of course you spend more on food, hut, water bowl and extra shell! Little did I know what I would end up spending once I learned what they needed, lol ! Worth it though!

My local Petco in Raleigh, NC sells them for $6.99 and they were all small-medium size too, also with the painted shells...but they had good tank conditions (unlike my local Petsmart, sad).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:03 am

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:52 am
Betta fish have gone sky high though! Our walmarts used to sell them for $4, but they all stopped. The local chain has their cheapest at $13 now up to $30, and our local shop regularly has $17 ones.
Really? I just picked up one at a local pet smart for 2.50.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Theresa Howard wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 pm
I adopted all 7 of my crabs. The first 3 I paid 50usd and they came with a 40gal tank and some supplies. the other 4 were just given to me with a 37gal tank and stand and tons of supplies. The first group came from craigslist and the second came from FB marketplace. The hermit crab industry is horrible, that's why I adopted. Please look into adopting if you're getting more crabs.
I probably won't be getting any more crabs. The more I've learned about it, then more I dislike it - as much as I love my crabs. I don't like the idea of any wild caught pets, really.

I probably should have mentioned that my prices were in CAD. It'd be about $16 US.