Does petsmart trim hermitcrab toes??

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabitatitude

Post by crabitatitude » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Our hermit crabs came from the store with no toes, after a year they have toes again. So are the stores or other crabs clipping their toes off?

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: Does petsmart trim hermitcrab toes??

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:14 pm

It is damage from before being captured or the journey from the capture all the way to your tank. They also wear down over time and after a molt they will be back and beautiful just like the setae.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:It is damage from before being captured or the journey from the capture all the way to your tank. They also wear down over time and after a molt they will be back and beautiful just like the setae.
Yep. What Kelly said.

Topic author
crabitatitude

Post by crabitatitude » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:36 pm

It's upsetting to know what these babies have been through... With my tortoise I chose captive breeding. You can't do that with crabs. [CONFOUNDED FACE]

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:04 am

How would capturing them just break their nails?

Frankly unless the crabs are on sand I have no idea how they do it. Isn't that like crab 101?

They'd rather allow themselves to be severed then release their shells?

Sorry, I know that's graphic, but like I'd just expect the damage to be more wide spread, because of how hard they fight to hold on or from territory fights or predators.

I don't mean to be callous!! I'm just trying to understand why it'd only be the toes.

I read somewhere once that pet stores will clip them to make a sale...
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 05 } PP; Dʀᴀᴄᴏ, Sᴛɪʟᴇs, Cᴀᴘ, Bᴜᴄᴋʏ, ᴀɴᴅ Lɪᴛᴛʟᴇғᴏᴏᴛ. ( 10 /13/15 )

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34 am

Crabs probably grab onto stuff during harvesting, and they get torn off when they get yanked off. It's not always just the toes. Its just the ones that make it to the stores that show missing toes. I don't think a petshop would be seen selling crabs with partial or missing legs.
Also during transport and hundreds/thousands of crabs are climbing over each other, some might lose exposed toes due to falling and smashing against their neighbors. A toe might get wedge in the wrong place during a panic struggle.
They also move from harvester to transporter to distributer to merchant to customer, so there's more possible accidents there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:51 am

YYWW wrote:Crabs probably grab onto stuff during harvesting, and they get torn off when they get yanked off. It's not always just the toes. Its just the ones that make it to the stores that show missing toes. I don't think a petshop would be seen selling crabs with partial or missing legs.
Also during transport and hundreds/thousands of crabs are climbing over each other, some might lose exposed toes due to falling and smashing against their neighbors. A toe might get wedge in the wrong place during a panic struggle.
They also move from harvester to transporter to distributer to merchant to customer, so there's more possible accidents there.

I have had 5 or 6 from pet stores vwith missing legs and others missing toes. So far everyone that has molted and come up has been whole again. 4 have come back up. It always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I see them whole again after their terrible experience of being harvested and transported.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Now that I'm thinking about it, the three crabs I have bought from petsmart and two someone got from the beach and had for a week had no toes. I seriously hope people don't do this to the crabs intentionally. They weren't really dull either, though it's possible another crab pinched and snapped it clean off. That probably happens a lot with large groups of crabs.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:07 pm

I don't think the damage is intentional. Just a bad result of the less than ideal harvesting and selling process (I'm being nice. It'd be ideal if they weren't harvested period but that's a debate for a different day). I've had 3 crabs come home with missing parts. Ana Maria came home with two missing legs but some awesome gel buds. I had high hopes for her but she died after just 5 days. Ragetti came home with only one eye and sadly died of pps. The only one who came home missing a leg who has successfully molted is Thumbelina. She grew back her tiny red leg in her first molt I'm thinking maybe one or two more before that leg is back to normal size but at this point I'm just thankful she made it through everything and is still doing well.

Oh and when I went to pick up Bash, he came home with very sharp nails and lots of setae! It's not always a sad story I'm glad my crab purchasing ended on such a great note. It's adoptions for this family from here on out!

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Dwebble is on his second molt with me he had sharp toes after his first molt

Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:12 pm

Though I can't promise you that pet stores aren't breaking off crabby toes intentionally, it definitely is something that just happens.
Even in my own tank, my larger crabs that take longer to molt, by the time they finally do - their little black toes are usually worn away or broken off.
It doesn't happen with the smaller crabs because they're lighter, the falls hurt less, and the molt more often. but I definitely see it with the larger hermies.
7 PPs: Vinny, Thomas, Tink, Theo, Thumbelina, Fudge, and Midge
1 E: Noel

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:34 am

You have to look at how they're being transported and stored - shoved into boxes and bags with a lot of other crabs and nothing in between to separate them. When crabs panic - which they do in places where they are cramped together with no place to move away and hide, they start pinching and attacking anything near them that they feel is a threat. They're also likely to be extremely hungry and in bad shells, which also makes them likely to go after other crabs. They climb all over each other and try to find a way out. All of these things end up with crabs with missing limbs or parts. (And those are the lucky ones.)

I am extremely careful where and how I keep my hermit crabs if I have to remove a bunch of them from my tank during cleaning. I've ended up with broken feet and pinched limbs when they were piled together in a container. I even had a little crab get eaten alive once the second month I was crabbing, just by putting them all in the same container and walking away for 5 minutes. When we rescue and adopt I always separate the crabs to their own containers on the right home, because they could potentially kill each other during the trip. They are a colony animal, but they aren't a pack animal like wolves where they protect each other. It's every crab for themselves and the safety from predators comes from being in large enough numbers so each crab is less likely to be the one to get eaten.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:14 am

wodesorel wrote: They are a colony animal, but they aren't a pack animal like wolves where they protect each other. It's every crab for themselves and the safety from predators comes from being in large enough numbers so each crab is less likely to be the one to get eaten.
That's an excellent point, wodesorel, colony vs pack. You can see the distinction at the food dish: crabs will climb all over each other to get to the food, barring some crabs from reaching the dish at all whereas pack animals make sure that the smallest, youngest and weakest get food so that they can get stronger to make the pack stronger.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Hermit crabs just up from a moult are hairy and have sharp pointy black toes. As they climb about and do general day to day living these points get damaged and worn down. The hairs also rub off as time goes by. Blunt toes and lack of hair are two indicators that your crabs are heading closer to needing a moult. It is possible that the crabs in pet shops have been a long while without a moult and thus have worn down toes.
Crazy crab lady with 2 males raised in captivity and one adult male. Also 5 females and a tiny male that needed rehoming. I've taken in them in to add to my breeding program.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Just fyi, this thread is from 2014. ;) I don't think the OP has even been on in a year.