Suction cups not holding!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
cassiedj

Post by cassiedj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:55 pm

I recently got some suction cups to hang up plants and fish netting, and they are really good suction cups. However, my hermit crab Rommy is a large crab (MAYBE a larger medium, but he's pretty big) and he keeps falling despite the good suction!

Is there a way to reinforce things better? I know this wouldn't be an issue if he was smaller, but he's a biggun' and his shell is kinda heavy. I feel so sad because he just wants to climb and it sucks when the stuff gives out half the time.
Crabbies: currently only one named Romulus.

Allyb01

Post by Allyb01 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Have you tried using a strong tape to hold up the netting? Maybe you could place the lid over part of the net to keep it elevated. But then if the lid is not weighted down, your crabbie could push it open.

Proud owner of 6 PPs,Twinkie, Tweedles, Tiny, Nugget, Squidgy, and Bumbie! :)

CallaLily

Re: Suction cups not holding!

Post by CallaLily » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 am

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?p=922614#p922614.

There's an alternative idea there for hanging things in the Crabitat. Though it would require moving the crabs into a temporary setup for a little while.

I don't recommend using tape inside a crabitat. Crabs could get stuck in it and it would probably come undone after a little while anyway in the heat and humidity.

Elsdad

Post by Elsdad » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:53 am

I clean the glass and then rub some olive oil on the cups as suggested by others on this site. They stay up about 2-3 months before coming down. I just reclean glass and put on some more olive oil. Works for me.

Topic author
cassiedj

Post by cassiedj » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks guys! I just redid my crabitat a teensy bit and I will see how often things fall down now. :)
Crabbies: currently only one named Romulus.