What is best for lone hermit crab?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
brette.ott

What is best for lone hermit crab?

Post by brette.ott » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello,
I am new to this site. I have owned two hermit crabs for about 8 years. Unfortunately one has passed away. What would be best for my surviving crab? I don't want her to be alone, but if I get another one there is the potential for conflict.

I got these crabs from a pet store. They only sell small ones. My hermit crabs haven't been aggressive towards each other, but they also grew up together and we're similar in size.

Any advice would be welcomed.

hermitcrablover1

Re: What is best for lone hermit crab?

Post by hermitcrablover1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi! Welcome to HCA. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Eight years is a long time to have the same crabs. Obviously you are doing something right. I have had 1 crab for 10 years and 2 for 8 and 9 years. In the past when I had 2 crabs together they seemed to form closer bonds to each other than ones that lived in groups. I found that the remaining crab seemed sad and depressed. It improved immediately when given a new buddy.

I would not worry if you can not find another crab the same size as they seem to get along together no matter what sizes they are. Often big and little crabs also get along and the larger ones can be protective of smaller ones. You could check your local pet store or the adaptation section on this site.

Topic author
brette.ott

Post by brette.ott » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Thank you!

Topic author
brette.ott

Post by brette.ott » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:59 pm

Any advice for introducing new crabs so that it goes smoothly?

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:15 pm

brette.ott wrote:Any advice for introducing new crabs so that it goes smoothly?
Just the standard dip in the FW pool to remove any "foreign" smells before setting the newbie loose. You may want to check your local craigslist to see if anyone is looking to rehome any hermit crabs. It's a good route to go as you're usually providing better conditions than the crab(s) had before and many posters will toss in the whole kit and kaboodle they have for the crab(s), including tank, feeding dishes, etc, for a nominal rehoming fee so it's an also an opportunity for a possible tank upgrade.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:59 pm

I've just dropped several adoptions on the HCA FB page. Check them out, one may be in your area.

erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Personally, from what I've seen in my own research the best thing to do is to get another hermit crab. Yes conflict may or may not be an issue but hermit crabs despite their name are very social creatures and need a like companion. I would try to get one that is around the same size as your current crab that way there is a greater chance of them being the same age. He's probably used to hanging around his age group just like people so I would assume that over time they will become friends. If you are still concerned that conflict will be an issue, put them in the same enclosure for a couple hours. If they want nothing to do with one another or fight I suggest doing the following:
When you first introduce them they might be stand-offish so introduce them slowly by letting them play together for a couple hours a day and gradually increase their time spent together over the span of a week, depending on their personalities. When they are separate, I would suggest you temporarily divide their enclosure with a thin barrier that they can still hear and smell one another. (I would recommend a cheese cloth or, depending on their size, chicken wire) after a week or two they should be perfectly fine with one another. Hermit crabs are like teenagers in a way, isolate them from their friends and eventually they will get lonely and desperate for a friend.
Then again, I am no expert, I'm a college student who has only owned hermit crabs for the last few months, but I've done my research and I've been around animals all my life. I lived with my aunt for several years and she is a Vet. Tech., who has taught me many things about animal behavior.
I wish you luck!!! :crabbigsmile:
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:57 pm

erin.leaman wrote:Personally, from what I've seen in my own research the best thing to do is to get another hermit crab. Yes conflict may or may not be an issue but hermit crabs despite their name are very social creatures and need a like companion. I would try to get one that is around the same size as your current crab that way there is a greater chance of them being the same age. He's probably used to hanging around his age group just like people so I would assume that over time they will become friends. If you are still concerned that conflict will be an issue, put them in the same enclosure for a couple hours. If they want nothing to do with one another or fight I suggest doing the following:
When you first introduce them they might be stand-offish so introduce them slowly by letting them play together for a couple hours a day and gradually increase their time spent together over the span of a week, depending on their personalities. When they are separate, I would suggest you temporarily divide their enclosure with a thin barrier that they can still hear and smell one another. (I would recommend a cheese cloth or, depending on their size, chicken wire) after a week or two they should be perfectly fine with one another. Hermit crabs are like teenagers in a way, isolate them from their friends and eventually they will get lonely and desperate for a friend.
Then again, I am no expert, I'm a college student who has only owned hermit crabs for the last few months, but I've done my research and I've been around animals all my life. I lived with my aunt for several years and she is a Vet. Tech., who has taught me many things about animal behavior.
I wish you luck!!! :crabbigsmile:
Many metals are toxic to hermit crabs.

Size difference does not always mean age difference. Crabs grow at varied rates depending on their living conditions. I have 10 year old crabs that are golf ball sized and 5 year old crabs that are tennis ball size. Many factors affect their growth rates.

Dominance displays are normal when introducing a new crab into any tank. Feeler battles and kicking happen often. Unless two crabs are actively trying to rip each other apart, there is little cause for concern.

It is not necessary to put up a divider of any sort.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:11 am

Again, only a precautionary suggestion. Stop picking apart every little thing I say. It was only a suggestion. Thank you.
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:30 pm

erin.leaman wrote:Again, only a precautionary suggestion. Stop picking apart every little thing I say. It was only a suggestion. Thank you.
Erin, I'm just curious why you get upset at what Soilentgringa said correcting your post when you yourself said you were not an expert? I am a Veterinary Technichian myself, however animal behavior applies to mammals. Don't we all want the best advice? She has been crabbing a lot longer than you.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:41 pm

I just want to be clear that everyone has the right to express their opinion or offer advice.

If that advice doesn't align with our care guides, I will say something, and steer members towards our care guides.

At HCA we do not hold to "one true way" of crabbing, but there are outdated practices and what we know is constantly advancing and evolving.

I don't know that there are any carcinologists in this group, but I do know that the founders and many long time members have many years, decades even, of experience under their belts.

Since most countries view land hermit crabs as fishbait, not much actual legitimate research has been done.

I want this to remain an encouraging space for new members and ask that everyone let this drop.

I understand that bad info is rampant out there. There are a few long term groups that have been around that I would trust with the majority of their care advice. There are a couple of FB pages that I trust, even if their ideologies don't align with HCA's point for point.

Let's get this post back on topic, please.

If you have advice for the OP in regards to their injured crab, or have had experience with this type of injury, or want to offer your OP encouragement, feel free to continue the discussion.

Thank you guys for understanding.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 pm

I have never been led astray by soilentgringa! Matter of fact she has been there at my scariest crabby moments! All of mine are alive and kicking so ya know what?! She says I can't let them have something regardless of what MOST other crabbers say in the end i usually listen to her opinion! If she told me to dig and isolate... Id be digging! She's been through it.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Im soooo sorry! I don't know how to delete my comment and i didn't see your last comment requesting us not to say anything more about it! Please feel free to delete it. Again, i apologize!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:58 pm

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:Im soooo sorry! I don't know how to delete my comment and i didn't see your last comment requesting us not to say anything more about it! Please feel free to delete it. Again, i apologize!

Don't stress.

I know all of us ran afoul of bad info at the beginning of our journey's.

OP, how is your crab doing?

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:31 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
KayedeeLove<3 wrote:Im soooo sorry! I don't know how to delete my comment and i didn't see your last comment requesting us not to say anything more about it! Please feel free to delete it. Again, i apologize!

OP, how is your crab doing?

That's the important question!