At what point does it become neglect?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

soilentgringa

Re: At what point does it become neglect?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:37 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:
bbcraft22 wrote:I don't really know the question. Can you tell me the question? Maybe I will be able to answer.
they are pretty much asking how many times a day or week one should go ahead and replace their water and food and do a little spot clean imagine. In my case i replace the food every morning and my water pools are cleaned and replaced 2 times per week unless really soiled. I would say try to up keep as much as possible especially with food changes it can lead to mites and mold. Fresh food and water is def important.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
They eat moldy and rotting food in the wild and sometimes really enjoy some more "ripe" offerings. I change my food out when it gets super gross and my isopod cleanup crew takes care of the rest. Image

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:
bbcraft22 wrote:I don't really know the question. Can you tell me the question? Maybe I will be able to answer.
they are pretty much asking how many times a day or week one should go ahead and replace their water and food and do a little spot clean imagine. In my case i replace the food every morning and my water pools are cleaned and replaced 2 times per week unless really soiled. I would say try to up keep as much as possible especially with food changes it can lead to mites and mold. Fresh food and water is def important.

They eat moldy and rotting food in the wild and sometimes really enjoy some more "ripe" offerings. I change my food out when it gets super gross and my isopod cleanup crew takes care of the rest. Image

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
Gotcha i just try to keep everything clean. And change it the next morning mango is a giant cow (my big one ) and scarfs almost all the food over night anyway.

PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:50 pm

Sometimes people are just lazy, like me. We like to put it off as something else and don't understand we can take care of them, we can move our limbs and take 5 mins of our day to keep these creatures alive. Also sometimes it just makes us sad.

It's happened to me also, ever since two crabs died, one from a mistake I made, I've just not been as interested or motivated to take care of them...or appreciate them. I crushed my crab with a light that fell due to my negligence...watched it suffer and loose its fluids. My precious Penny's life was literally drained out.

That's what keeps me from taking care of them as much as I need too. Bad memories. :(

2 Crabs n' Sobbin'

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:55 pm

PixelPlex22 wrote:Sometimes people are just lazy, like me. We like to put it off as something else and don't understand we can take care of them, we can move our limbs and take 5 mins of our day to keep these creatures alive. Also sometimes it just makes us sad.

It's happened to me also, ever since two crabs died, one from a mistake I made, I've just not been as interested or motivated to take care of them...or appreciate them. I crushed my crab with a light that fell due to my negligence...watched it suffer and loose its fluids. My precious Penny's life was literally drained out.

That's what keeps me from taking care of them as much as I need too. Bad memories. :(

2 Crabs n' Sobbin'
Sorry that's awful I'm always paranoid my versa top is going to slip and crush them. I couldn't imagine something like that must have been horrible again sorry for you loss.

PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 pm

Even worse, this happened after penny made an almost impossible recovery from a bad molt. I was thankful she lived, then it happened.

Lost my other one to a bad molt :/

For me it's just not fun anymore, I never research new stuff, change their food 2 times a week, never hold them, no salt water, they have a 10 gal with low humidity because my parents insisted I got rid of my 40 gal. I just have nostalgia for when I had all four of them each being silly, with a 40 gallon tank. Holding them and loving them. I feel bad enough with two dead crabs but the fact that I killed one just overwhelms me with sadness. That crab had its life in my hands and I crushed it. That experience ruined the hobby for me. I suppose I need to muster up the energy to take care of my beautiful crabs and move past those bad memories. I need to put my love back into this hobby, I need to be more active here.

Wish me luck...

2 Crabs n' Sobbin'

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:26 am

PixelPlex22 wrote:Even worse, this happened after penny made an almost impossible recovery from a bad molt. I was thankful she lived, then it happened.

Lost my other one to a bad molt :/

For me it's just not fun anymore, I never research new stuff, change their food 2 times a week, never hold them, no salt water, they have a 10 gal with low humidity because my parents insisted I got rid of my 40 gal. I just have nostalgia for when I had all four of them each being silly, with a 40 gallon tank. Holding them and loving them. I feel bad enough with two dead crabs but the fact that I killed one just overwhelms me with sadness. That crab had its life in my hands and I crushed it. That experience ruined the hobby for me. I suppose I need to muster up the energy to take care of my beautiful crabs and move past those bad memories. I need to put my love back into this hobby, I need to be more active here.

Wish me luck...

2 Crabs n' Sobbin'
Maybe it's time you considered putting them up for adoption sounds like you just don't have it in you to be a care taker anymore.

PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:04 am

No...I'm going to take care of them. They depend on me. I just need to get over this...I really do love this hobby.

Hopefully when I put them back in a bigger tank it'll make me feel better. I'm going to start over :)

2 Crabs n' Lovin'

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:10 am

Really what you have to do is replace it before it gets very low. Or if it has mold. It really depends on the size of the bowls.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Sensi

Post by Sensi » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:21 am

shanedaman112 wrote:About a year ago I had some motivation problems and sometimes went on 5-6 days without feeding or replacing water. Not to get too deep, but I wonder if I can justify that as being a mental issue. That is not why I'm posting this though. Sometimes when I'm super tired or stressed out, like last night, I can't find the strength to tend to the crabs, and sometimes, like today, I find we are out of paper towels or something so I have to wait even longer. If I had taken care of them last night, even though I was super tired, they wouldn't be 2 days overdue.. Would you call it neglect/irresponsibility? Can I really write it off as being tired while my crabs end up with 4 day old food and water? I struggle with this. Makes me feel like a bad caretaker.
P. S. I rarely vent like this since I'm an Introvert, but be honest please!
I go through this myself. One thing that helps me is to care for them earlier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Crabbie mom to Popcorn, Barbosa, Elizabeth Swan, Peanut butter/George Lopez/Bob the Builder (given three names by my 13 yr old I know not why), Will Turner, Pickle, Sideways and R.I.P. Bubbles, Junior, E, Spike, Callipso, Davy Jones and Capt'n Jack, Carlos and Speedy :(