Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.
Post Reply

Topic author
bxbylxv
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:40 am

Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by bxbylxv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 am

Some background info:
So I got 3 small PPs at a Virginia Beach store. The moment I got home I tried my best to quickly better their living conditions. Three days after getting them they were relocated to a 10 gallon tank with 5.5 inches of play sand, 2 fresh/saltwater bowls, 2 fake plant bushes, a food bowl, an eggshell bowl, and a cardboard climbing wall/hide (that I'm hoping to replace soon). I have yet to have a thermometer/hygrometer, a UTH, or shells. However I ordered an Ultratherm and a pack of 30 shells which are on the way!

So about my hermies.

One of them reacted really well to the change and ate/drank a lot and is now molting. The other 2 have been sitting in a fake plant for the past 4ish days. They rarely move, and while I understand they have to destress, it's getting more worrysome. I've moved the food bowl right next to the plant in case they were too weak, but they won't eat. Or even move! Although one of the crabs just came out of his/her shell and moved a tiny bit, but every time I get near them they immediately hide. I feel so helpless. The other crab on the surface has been staying in the same spot for 3 days! I'm trying to get my dad to take me to Walmart as soon as he can, but he's been really busy with work so I can't get a thermometer/hygrometer for another couple of days minimum.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Is there any other way to help my crabs besides having perfect temp/humidity? I feel like such a crappy owner :(


Topic author
bxbylxv
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by bxbylxv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 am

UPDATE: The crab that moved earlier is on the sand/plant but is just sitting there. They still seem to flinch every time I walk by or move

User avatar

soilentgringa
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 am

They need time to destress.

Without gauges, it is hard to know if your heat and humidity are in safe zones. This could be a reason they're lethargic.

Crabs also take tiny bites,lol. Sometimes it looks like they haven't touched their food.

They are prey animals and see anything larger than them as a threat. This is why they hide.


Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk


Topic author
bxbylxv
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by bxbylxv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 pm

soilentgringa wrote:They need time to destress.
Is there an approximation for how long they'll take to destress?

User avatar

soilentgringa
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:57 pm

bxbylxv wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:They need time to destress.
Is there an approximation for how long they'll take to destress?
This is usually accompanied by molting and can take several weeks.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

User avatar

Renroc
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:42 pm
Location: NSW Australia

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by Renroc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 am

Flinching when you walk past is a reflex survival reaction. Don't walk past too much and let them be as much as you can. I'd even suggest putting a blanket right over the tank to give them some dark calm time with no external stimuli.


Carer for 4 Aussie crabs.
Crazy crab lady with 2 males raised in captivity and one adult male. Also 5 females and a tiny male that needed rehoming. I've taken in them in to add to my breeding program.

User avatar

soilentgringa
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Renroc wrote:Flinching when you walk past is a reflex survival reaction. Don't walk past too much and let them be as much as you can. I'd even suggest putting a blanket right over the tank to give them some dark calm time with no external stimuli.


Carer for 4 Aussie crabs.
They need a day/night light cycle, so covering the tank wouldn't be an ideal situation, either.

Definitely on point about the survival reflex.

Crabs are really a hands off pet IMO, they are wild animals who've ended up in captivity and should really just be left to their own thing in the habitat.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

User avatar

Renroc
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:42 pm
Location: NSW Australia

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by Renroc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:15 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Renroc wrote:Flinching when you walk past is a reflex survival reaction. Don't walk past too much and let them be as much as you can. I'd even suggest putting a blanket right over the tank to give them some dark calm time with no external stimuli.


Carer for 4 Aussie crabs.
They need a day/night light cycle, so covering the tank wouldn't be an ideal situation, either.

Definitely on point about the survival reflex.

Crabs are really a hands off pet IMO, they are wild animals who've ended up in captivity and should really just be left to their own thing in the habitat.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
I was meaning just to cover the tank for a couple of days to simulate them digging down to destress. Absolutely need day and night cycles though.
Crazy crab lady with 2 males raised in captivity and one adult male. Also 5 females and a tiny male that needed rehoming. I've taken in them in to add to my breeding program.

Post Reply