Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
bxbylxv

Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by bxbylxv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 am

Some background info:
So I got 3 small PPs at a Virginia Beach store. The moment I got home I tried my best to quickly better their living conditions. Three days after getting them they were relocated to a 10 gallon tank with 5.5 inches of play sand, 2 fresh/saltwater bowls, 2 fake plant bushes, a food bowl, an eggshell bowl, and a cardboard climbing wall/hide (that I'm hoping to replace soon). I have yet to have a thermometer/hygrometer, a UTH, or shells. However I ordered an Ultratherm and a pack of 30 shells which are on the way!

So about my hermies.

One of them reacted really well to the change and ate/drank a lot and is now molting. The other 2 have been sitting in a fake plant for the past 4ish days. They rarely move, and while I understand they have to destress, it's getting more worrysome. I've moved the food bowl right next to the plant in case they were too weak, but they won't eat. Or even move! Although one of the crabs just came out of his/her shell and moved a tiny bit, but every time I get near them they immediately hide. I feel so helpless. The other crab on the surface has been staying in the same spot for 3 days! I'm trying to get my dad to take me to Walmart as soon as he can, but he's been really busy with work so I can't get a thermometer/hygrometer for another couple of days minimum.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Is there any other way to help my crabs besides having perfect temp/humidity? I feel like such a crappy owner :(

Topic author
bxbylxv

Re: Have had crabs for a week, 2 haven't eaten

Post by bxbylxv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 am

UPDATE: The crab that moved earlier is on the sand/plant but is just sitting there. They still seem to flinch every time I walk by or move

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 am

They need time to destress.

Without gauges, it is hard to know if your heat and humidity are in safe zones. This could be a reason they're lethargic.

Crabs also take tiny bites,lol. Sometimes it looks like they haven't touched their food.

They are prey animals and see anything larger than them as a threat. This is why they hide.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
bxbylxv

Post by bxbylxv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 pm

soilentgringa wrote:They need time to destress.
Is there an approximation for how long they'll take to destress?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:57 pm

bxbylxv wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:They need time to destress.
Is there an approximation for how long they'll take to destress?
This is usually accompanied by molting and can take several weeks.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 am

Flinching when you walk past is a reflex survival reaction. Don't walk past too much and let them be as much as you can. I'd even suggest putting a blanket right over the tank to give them some dark calm time with no external stimuli.

Carer for 4 Aussie crabs.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Renroc wrote:Flinching when you walk past is a reflex survival reaction. Don't walk past too much and let them be as much as you can. I'd even suggest putting a blanket right over the tank to give them some dark calm time with no external stimuli.

They need a day/night light cycle, so covering the tank wouldn't be an ideal situation, either.

Definitely on point about the survival reflex.

Crabs are really a hands off pet IMO, they are wild animals who've ended up in captivity and should really just be left to their own thing in the habitat.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:15 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Renroc wrote:Flinching when you walk past is a reflex survival reaction. Don't walk past too much and let them be as much as you can. I'd even suggest putting a blanket right over the tank to give them some dark calm time with no external stimuli.

They need a day/night light cycle, so covering the tank wouldn't be an ideal situation, either.

Definitely on point about the survival reflex.

Crabs are really a hands off pet IMO, they are wild animals who've ended up in captivity and should really just be left to their own thing in the habitat.

I was meaning just to cover the tank for a couple of days to simulate them digging down to destress. Absolutely need day and night cycles though.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.