Crab underwater with no shell on.

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
KTM200xc

Crab underwater with no shell on.

Post by KTM200xc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:01 pm

So I have a large saltwater pool for my crabs, 3 gallons about 8 to 10 inch's deep. I have posted pictures of it before. My strawberries love going in it and staying down for rather long, like an hour. And not because they can't get out. My big guy Wooly will go and sit on top the air stone filter forever. Is it possible for him to breath the air from it? But any ways last night I got home at 5:45 and he was in his spot, on top the filter. Two hours later he was still there but now completely out of his shell. I thought he was dead, I was going to net him out, but is soon is I got close he moved away quickly. So I left him. Another hour same thing and still alive. Finally after four hours that I know of :shock: he walked up the ramp out of the pool. But with no shell! He sat on top the pool deck like this for two hours, I put shells close by him, but he didnt take. I get up this morning to find that he has gone back in to the pool at some point and got his shell out. And now seems fine. He also refuses to get in a bigger shell even though his is a little small. In fact he will try smaller ones on but not bigger ones.
I know crabs will get out of their shell if they are sick or dying. But has any one seen them do it underwater? I did notice he has a small brown spot on his abdomen. Also he is missing the end of a leg, I'm guessing from a fight. He had just finished a successful molt before this, about three or four weeks ago. All tank conditions are good.
Also how long has anyone seen their crabs stay underwater?
Sorry this was a lot to read. And please don't tell me why I shouldn't have Strawberry hermit crabs. :o
Thanks. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crab underwater with no shell on.

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:17 pm

I wouldn't worry about him being underwater. I've seen mine stay under for as long as three hours. Perhaps he got air in his shell or something. As long as he has a shell, don't worry.
Next time you see without a shell, take out and re shell him. Is the brown spot his molting sac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
KTM200xc

Post by KTM200xc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:29 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I wouldn't worry about him being underwater. I've seen mine stay under for as long as three hours. Perhaps he got air in his shell or something. As long as he has a shell, don't worry.
Next time you see without a shell, take out and re shell him. Is the brown spot his molting sac?

Hmm. Maybe it was molting sack, didn't think of that. I didn't take a picture. He had his abdomen curled up, so could I re shell him like that? Thanks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Yes. You very gently put your finger underneath him and uncurl him while backing him into the shell.

Yw :)

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:34 pm

If you feel uncomfortable doing that, you could put him and the shell in a coffee cup so he will go into it. make sure both are clean. (Dip into fresh water of the tank if you need to)

Topic author
KTM200xc

Post by KTM200xc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Ah okay. Believe it or not in the four years I have had crabs this is the first to go naked.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:04 pm

That's great! you've had your straws for 4 years?

Topic author
KTM200xc

Post by KTM200xc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Oh no. Only have had them maybe five months. Two of the pp's have had four years.

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:28 am

My E did the same thing!!!! It scared the snot out of me! He would spend hours down there at a time and I came home one day to find him floating around in there without his shell so I immediately took him and his shell out and reshelled him. I am so nervous to put a bigger pool in because I don't want that happening again. But my bigger crab is going to need a bigger pool soon.

Topic author
KTM200xc

Post by KTM200xc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:07 pm

ErikRasmussen wrote:My E did the same thing!!!! It scared the snot out of me! He would spend hours down there at a time and I came home one day to find him floating around in there without his shell so I immediately took him and his shell out and reshelled him. I am so nervous to put a bigger pool in because I don't want that happening again. But my bigger crab is going to need a bigger pool soon.
Like actually floating? Or you mean he was just in the pool? Now that would really scare me! Mine all love fully submerging, and they do it in the wild.

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:31 am

I dont want to call it swimming because it wasnt that graceful so i use the word floating. intentional wiggling lol ya super scary!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:15 am

ErikRasmussen wrote:I dont want to call it swimming because it wasnt that graceful so i use the word floating. intentional wiggling lol ya super scary!
That sounds terrifying! I would have freaked!

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Yah dang Es never give you a moments peace lol

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Mine haven't ever done that to me! (Knock on wood!!) They can sure run the hamster wheel too!!