UNSAFE HIDE

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
TheCrabLord

UNSAFE HIDE

Post by TheCrabLord » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 pm

I've seen ALOT of people using reptile logs as hides for your crabs, they may seem okay, but that wood is most likely cedar which is an irritant and could kill them. A good substitute that's cheap is a cocohut. You can also take tubberware, cover it with something so it isn't see through, and cut a crab sized gap into it for them. Make sure it's safe!!! You can also figure out a way to stick rocks together in order to make a hut. Make sure it's stable! A good hide can also be a clay pot with netting over it to climb up for fun (optional) and a hole made on the side for the crabs to climb in and out of! A great, cheap, wet hide is frog spaghnum moss in which a lot comes. My crabs love it and dig all of the time!!! Happy hiding :)

CallaLily

Re: UNSAFE HIDE

Post by CallaLily » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 am

I've used the half logs for a few years with zero issues. They're pine.

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Post by TheCrabLord » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:47 am

The toxins the pine releases is very risky and can have some long term damage. Do some research before you risk it.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:01 pm

As I said, I've used them before for a few years. I'm not currently using them now, just because I find wood pieces have to be chucked after spending a while in the crabitat. The pine used in these half logs are kiln dried and are not harmful. There's even some thought out there that pine isn't as harmful to hermit crabs as it's made out to be. ;)
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... ne#p962483
I would never use fresh cut pine though.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Many people have used the half log hides for years now with their crabs. They're safe.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Just chiming in to say that the half logs have been used by many crabbers for years with no ill effects.

They climb on pine and other evergreens in the wild...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Post by TheCrabLord » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Many websites say that it's unsafe so I'd be careful, credible websites like the crab street journal say it too. Good luck with your irritated crabs...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 pm

So.... Our forum, which has been around for nearly two decades and researches everything it recommends is not credible?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:15 pm

TheCrabLord wrote:Many websites say that it's unsafe so I'd be careful, credible websites like the crab street journal say it too. Good luck with your irritated crabs...
HCA has been around for almost 20 years and we have crabbers who have used these hides for several with no issues.

Some of our founding members have crabs nearly as old or as old as the forum so I would definitely trust the experiences of people who've been researching and managed to keep hermits alive for that long.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 pm

wodesorel wrote:So.... Our forum, which has been around for nearly two decades and researches everything it recommends is not credible?
Right... Funny how some groups started off by piggybacking on our care guides but now we aren't a credible source...

Let me go find my tea though...

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:30 am

TheCrabLord wrote:Many websites say that it's unsafe so I'd be careful, credible websites like the crab street journal say it too. Good luck with your irritated crabs...
:roll: And many people used to say dairy and citrus were unsafe but now we know better.

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am

Just to throw in on the pine issue. I work with animals and the original poster was correct in what they said about pine being toxic. BUT the effects of pine are eliminated if the wood is able to air out before being offered to the animal. This is even true if the wood has been dried out and they eat or chew it. So assuming everyone using pine treated it properly and even then I'd go so far to say because they aren't sealed sitting at the store in AC over time would do make it safe. Definitely not without some if a small risk. I personally only avoid it because I prefer cork/grapewood and get it at a great price from work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am

Just Jay wrote:Just to throw in on the pine issue. I work with animals and the original poster was correct in what they said about pine being toxic. BUT the effects of pine are eliminated if the wood is able to air out before being offered to the animal. This is even true if the wood has been dried out and they eat or chew it. So assuming everyone using pine treated it properly and even then I'd go so far to say because they aren't sealed sitting at the store in AC over time would do make it safe. Definitely not without some if a small risk. I personally only avoid it because I prefer cork/grapewood and get it at a great price from work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Pine itself is not toxic. The phenols in the sap are. Crabs can eat pinecones and routinely climb on different evergreens (including pines) in the wild.

If you put an oozing chunk of fresh cut pine in the tank, yeah, you'll have problems because our tanks are pretty airtight.

But a dried piece of wood isn't going to bother them.

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Post by TheCrabLord » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Honestly I'd still be careful. The fumes from the pine in a non aerated container can build up, while in the wild they can air out. Stay safe!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm

TheCrabLord wrote:Honestly I'd still be careful. The fumes from the pine in a non aerated container can build up, while in the wild they can air out. Stay safe!
Yes if you chuck a fresh piece in. :) Otherwise, a log you find in a store for example has had enough time to 'cure' and most of the fumes (phenols) have had a chance to dissipate or break down.

But I will say this, every forum and site has their own particular set of 'standards' used in crabbing care, so you may find with research that you may come up with contradictory information. However, with a bit of google and google scolar for example, you might be surprised what you come up with and form your own logical conclusion.
eg. substrate. Some recommend only the 5.1 ratio, everything else is bad and can kill them, others recommend virtually a 50/50 split, whether separated or mixed. Others recommend straight sand or EE. :) Some still recommend out of tat play time, others recommend using an ISO for moulting crabs. At one stage (archives) we did too, cause I did the same when first starting out! The crabbing community is small, but over time each group has evolved their own set of guidelines for successful crabbing.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies