??

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Tazz9040

??

Post by Tazz9040 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Ok I'm new I have a pp and the two other ones look like pp but they are orange ..my question is I see a lot of ppl saying they have E crabs can someone explain please

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ??

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:06 pm

When we refer to E's, we are referring to a different species. C. compressus, not C. Clypeatus (PPs). They do behave and look a little different from eachother, but basic care is ultimately the same.

It can be a little rare, but over the years I've seen PPs which orange areas and markings. If you want an ID to make sure, share a pic and we can determine the species for you. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Hello!! I also had trouble at first. My picture shows PP and E standing right next to each other the E is in the painted shell. Look at the beady eyes on the PP and longer eyes on the E that’s how I can tell. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

Topic author
Tazz9040

Post by Tazz9040 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:39 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:When we refer to E's, we are referring to a different species. C. compressus, not C. Clypeatus (PPs). They do behave and look a little different from eachother, but basic care is ultimately the same.

It can be a little rare, but over the years I've seen PPs which orange areas and markings. If you want an ID to make sure, share a pic and we can determine the species for you. :)

It's going to be a lil while all three are dug in

Topic author
Tazz9040

Post by Tazz9040 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am

Tazz9040 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:When we refer to E's, we are referring to a different species. C. compressus, not C. Clypeatus (PPs). They do behave and look a little different from eachother, but basic care is ultimately the same.

It's going to be a lil while all three are dug in

Here is the tank done with just putting them back into it the side window has a lil sand on it still thought I'd show what I've done so far ...ImageImageImage

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Very nice! I had that palm tree pool in my old tank but didn’t think it was deep enough for my bigger guy lol. Only question I have, and someone else might know better, but I thought I read that the ZooMed heaters cannot be insulated? I’d recommend a bigger UTH from the reptile store listed on this site...Vivarium Heating Mat.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Tazz9040

Post by Tazz9040 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm

The insulation is aluminum foil on the outside with aquarium background behind that it keeps tank between 75 to 78° and humidity is 78% ....

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:31 pm

I think fandt94 is correct about insulating the heater. Those are already insulated so it would be a fire hazard to insulate it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:28 pm

nice set up so far!! just take the tin foil off and see if your heat will still hold around the 75* area that should be fine with PPs according to the care sheet posted by the HCA. Doing a great job!! love the lagoon. :)
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.