Field studies question

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabby33

Field studies question

Post by crabby33 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:39 am

Are there members here who have done studies on PPs in the wild? This might help to answer some of my questions on how it was proven that commercial foods can harm crabs in captivity.

Motörcrab

Re: Field studies question

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 am

I do not think anyone on here has done field research, I could be wrong though. I am pretty sure a majority of the information people gather on here are from personal general research either online, books, or other forums.

As for some of the store bought food being bad, here is the topic posted on why it is no good. Pretty much summed up it is all of the preservatives that are added is what is harmful to crabs. Processed foods are bad in general for humans, dogs, cats, and crabs. With crabs being a lot smaller the effects of them show up a lot quicker than in larger animals, humans included. If someone eats nothing but fast food for a year they won't be nearly as healthy as an all organic non processed diet.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=92555
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Field studies question

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:08 pm

No one has proven anything. However, there is plenty of information if you look around.

Ethoxyquin has been found to be potentially carcinogenic in vertebrates. Banned as a food additive in Australia and the European Union.

Copper sulfate is often used as a pesticide to kill mollusks.

BHT/BHA have been found to be potentially carcinogenic in vertebrates. Banned as a food additive in Japan, Australia, and parts of Europe.

The only way to officially prove that these compounds are harmful to hermit crabs is with several, lengthy food trials. Food trials that no one really wants to subject their crabs to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk