Nature Hut for shell shop?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
fandt94

Nature Hut for shell shop?

Post by fandt94 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm

I am wondering if this would be safe to use? It's supposed to be a cave for Guinea Pigs etc but I was thinking of inverting it and using it for a hanging shell shop? ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Hermie escape artist

Re: Nature Hut for shell shop?

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:47 pm

fandt94 wrote:I am wondering if this would be safe to use? It's supposed to be a cave for Guinea Pigs etc but I was thinking of inverting it and using it for a hanging shell shop? ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
I saw this exact one ...i got timothy *** instead and made my own little hut .. but this would be cool to hang !!! Following

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:56 am

my current shell shop is a half coconut buried in the substrate. i have the small shells in the coconut, and the big shells scattered on the substrate. my small crabs shell shop in the coconut, but my bigs like to drag them along the substrate anyway so i just leave them. it gives my smaller crabs a chance to shop without having to move bigger shells. once i move them into the tote my shop will be a plastic basket from dollar tree, but for now the coconut works. :)
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:39 am

My friends use these for their shell shops. They turn them on the sides. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:13 pm

I’m going to see if I can secure it above an aquarium decoration platform I already have in the tank in a corner.....thanks all!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 pm

So I can’t hang it yet because I have crabs down in that particular area and don’t want to move anything. Instead I am going to just temporarily put it on the substrate in the corner I have all the shells. Here is my concern...I just soaked it briefly in MSW and the water turned a bit yellow? I don’t know if it’s because of the hay type material or something else?