Video Cameras in Crabitats

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Video Cameras in Crabitats

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:28 am

ApePlanet wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:I got a Wyze Cam today. Excited to see how it holds up. I’m still concerned about the moisture and humidity but for $25 it’s worth a shot.

I know! Isn't it great?? I love my cameras. Opens a whole new world of crabbing. How did you set yours up?
It really does! I used the adhesive that was included to mount the magnet in the front-right corner of the tank.
Huh. I rigged up an elaborate set up. Maybe I shoild just use what it came with. Lol.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Video Cameras in Crabitats

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:24 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote: I know! Isn't it great?? I love my cameras. Opens a whole new world of crabbing. How did you set yours up?
It really does! I used the adhesive that was included to mount the magnet in the front-right corner of the tank.
Huh. I rigged up an elaborate set up. Maybe I shoild just use what it came with. Lol.
Yeah I just used what it came with to start.

One thing I’m going to have an issue with is water splashing on it from the pool bubblers Image

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:25 am

Yeah I just used what it came with to start.

One thing I’m going to have an issue with is water splashing on it from the pool bubblers Image

Image[/quote]

@Hermiesguardian any suggestions for placement in the tank? I see yours is higher up. I have a 20 gallon now and mounted it near the surface and the pools and that's going to be a problem. I think yours is near a pool as well, but do you have bubblers in your pools? That seems to be the biggest problem for me... the water (saltwater especially) splashing on it.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:32 am

ApePlanet wrote:Yeah I just used what it came with to start.

@Hermiesguardian any suggestions for placement in the tank? I see yours is higher up. I have a 20 gallon now and mounted it near the surface and the pools and that's going to be a problem. I think yours is near a pool as well, but do you have bubblers in your pools? That seems to be the biggest problem for me... the water (saltwater especially) splashing on it.[/quote]

I do have bubblers but my camera is higher. And my bubblers are peobably set on medium snyway. I didn't want the crabs crawling on it, that's why I put it high, not next to anything the can use to get to it. Did you put it an sd card?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:57 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:

@Hermiesguardian any suggestions for placement in the tank? I see yours is higher up. I have a 20 gallon now and mounted it near the surface and the pools and that's going to be a problem. I think yours is near a pool as well, but do you have bubblers in your pools? That seems to be the biggest problem for me... the water (saltwater especially) splashing on it.
I do have bubblers but my camera is higher. And my bubblers are peobably set on medium snyway. I didn't want the crabs crawling on it, that's why I put it high, not next to anything the can use to get to it. Did you put it an sd card?[/quote]

Not yet. I ordered one from Amazon last night.

My bubblers are on low myself but they still spit pretty good.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:

I do have bubblers but my camera is higher. And my bubblers are peobably set on medium snyway. I didn't want the crabs crawling on it, that's why I put it high, not next to anything the can use to get to it. Did you put it an sd card?[/quote]

I just looked at one of your vids again and it looks like your camera is right on top of a pool. It’s just baffling how the bubbler doesn’t spit on your cam.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 am

ApePlanet wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:

I do have bubblers but my camera is higher. And my bubblers are peobably set on medium snyway. I didn't want the crabs crawling on it, that's why I put it high, not next to anything the can use to get to it. Did you put it an sd card?
I just looked at one of your vids again and it looks like your camera is right on top of a pool. It’s just baffling how the bubbler doesn’t spit on your cam.

Image[/quote]

It's a few inches above the pool.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:06 pm

I have my first timelapse recording! I moved the cam to the other side of the tank away from their pools so they wouldn't spit on the lens. This is so cool! My bigger one goes out of his cave to chow down for a while with his buddy, then buries himself at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5J6XH ... e=youtu.be

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:55 pm

ApePlanet wrote:I have my first timelapse recording! I moved the cam to the other side of the tank away from their pools so they wouldn't spit on the lens. This is so cool! My bigger one goes out of his cave to chow down for a while with his buddy, then buries himself at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5J6XH ... e=youtu.be
Time lapse is so cool! I never watch mine like that.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:54 am

Very nice video! It was so cool to watch him dig down.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

jstein

Post by jstein » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Very cool , what is The plastic bin that the crab crawled up to that looked like it was filled with either Moss or straw of some type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 pm

jstein wrote:Very cool , what is The plastic bin that the crab crawled up to that looked like it was filled with either Moss or straw of some type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! It’s a clear plastic shower caddy hung using Command hooks. And it’s moss in it.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:16 pm

ApePlanet wrote:I got a Wyze Cam today. Excited to see how it holds up. I’m still concerned about the moisture and humidity but for $25 it’s worth a shot.

HOLY COW! That view is incredible!!! I can't wait to get some!!
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Is this the same one everyone has? Does it need a microSD card to work? I want to make sure I’m getting the right one. When I looked before I thought it was different but I could be wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wire ... ref=plSrch

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:25 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Is this the same one everyone has? Does it need a microSD card to work? I want to make sure I’m getting the right one. When I looked before I thought it was different but I could be wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wire ... ref=plSrch
That's the one I have in my tank (I actually bought a second for my twins' room as well). You don't need a microSD card for it to work, but in my opinion, you'll want to get one. I have a 32GB microSD in mine and it will store the recordings for about 3 days on it before it starts to erase the earliest recordings for new ones.

Here's the microSD card I bought: http://a.co/d/eioLaky

There's also a 360º pan camera from Wyze that's a bit more $, but I didn't get one of those yet. Hermiesguardian has one of those.

EDIT: The last sentence Hermiesguardian has a 360 Wireless Smart Home Security Camera, not the Wyze Pan. In looking at the Wyze Pan, it actually looks too big.