Experience

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabby33

Experience

Post by crabby33 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 am

I have been crabbing for four years now, would I still be considered inexperienced?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Experience

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:32 am

Experience usually equates to duration of keeping crabs - I'd say most people after the year mark are experienced somewhat - but also equates to knowledge and attitude.

For example, I considered myself (somewhat) experienced once I had an emergency and I knew how to deal in that situation, without really needing much assistance. If I have to google or ask for help (as I habe no idea, not as in a helping hand) for something, then I'm not experienced in that particular matter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:03 am

Like I know a 5:1 substrate ratio of play sand and EE is preferred over store bought sub. I follow the food pyramid and they have fresh and salt water. But if I have to look up the molt cycle and I’m tempted to dig them when they go down, I have no experience in that. Luckily, both of my crabs are hardy enough that they’ve survived being dug up multiple times but I usually cover them with a hide such as a coco hut to simulate cave conditions and leave them alone. I’m staying hands off now because the last time Violet was dug up, I placed her under a hide and she was so close to molting that when she started digging back down, she molted partially buried in the sand. That was my first experience with a newly molted crab. So I placed her back under the hide with the exo. So as I said, I am now strictly hands off.
Last edited by crabby33 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:21 am

I only considered myself experienced when everyone else started yelling "Get wode! She'll know what to do!" and I realized I was in trouble.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

PinchersAndShells
Administrator
Administrator

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:54 am

In my three years of crabbing, I feel as if the amount of experience you have varies from situation to situation. I'm experienced in the fact that I know what my crabs need, and can usually handle problems on my own because I know what to do (such as when a molter was uncovered under a water bowl, everything was smooth sailing) however there are other times where I feel like a brand new crab owner all over again. (When I discovered the bacterial bloom, or when one of my crabs came back up from a molt missing the tip of his leg, I still can't figure out what caused that.) In my opinion with keeping hermit crabs, what conotates experience is very subjective since we will always encounter new experiences and ordeals.
Sorry for rambling.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Dottie, & Elvis
3 Captive Bred Babies = Randy, Roxie, Marco
37 + 10 Gallon Crabitats | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 am

This month I've been crabbing for a year. I consider myself inexperienced but know enough to share basics. But I had a bacterial bloom scare last week (turned out it wasn't) and totally freaked out.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:06 pm

wodesorel wrote:I only considered myself experienced when everyone else started yelling "Get wode! She'll know what to do!" and I realized I was in trouble. Image
:hlol:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 pm

wodesorel wrote:I only considered myself experienced when everyone else started yelling "Get wode! She'll know what to do!" and I realized I was in trouble. Image
Well to be fair, you do usually know a thing or two. ;)

Hermiesguardian wrote:This month I've been crabbing for a year. I consider myself inexperienced but know enough to share basics. But I had a bacterial bloom scare last week (turned out it wasn't) and totally freaked out.
And this! ^^^ agree very much! Theres still times Im like 'wat?' And have no idea. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:26 pm

I just passed the 8 year mark with my crabs! I consider myself an intermediate crabber, LOL. I know much more than I did when I first got them, but certainly don't consider myself an expert in crab care. I do know a lot of basics about PP's, but then made kind of a rookie move earlier this year when I didn't have enough substrate in the new tank, and Sonny dug up Cher.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 am

I consider myself more "experienced" compared to myself a year and a half ago when I started. I would consider myself average compared to some "experts" here. Out in the real world with the typical pet store employee or crab purchaser I would consider myself expert compared to their knowledge, or lack of it. I believe no matter how long you have been doing something or what you know about it there is still always something more to learn. You can learn something from anyone as long as you keep an open mind.

Has anyone else ever posted a question on here then when you see Wodesorel or another very knowledgeable person reply, you to yourself, "Finally all my questions have been answered!"
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:22 am

Has anyone else ever posted a question on here then when you see Wodesorel or another very knowledgeable person reply, you to yourself, "Finally all my questions have been answered!"[/quote]

Yes! Her and GotButterflies.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 am

I love you guys. :)

But seriously - to me, experienced is where instead of having an 'Oh Crap' moment when something bad or unexpected happens, you instead have a 'Sigh, Not Again' reaction and just go straight to work. And that only comes from seeing a lot of situations.

I did a LOT of rescue, so I've seen a LOT of situations. Probably 150 crabs total over the years, most who have not survived. I've had them come to me naked, two started molting in my hands, I've had them change shells right in front me, worked with three dying wild caught jumbos, bacterial blooms, the worst enclosures you can imagine, traveled hours with them. The majority of crabbers will have a few crabs for multiple years and don't need to know (I hope they never know!) how to deal with these things.

I also try to be completely honest about my experiences and the outcomes. It's not a popularity contest, it's about showing others the reality of being a crabber with all the ups and downs and common tragedies. Everyone makes mistakes no matter how long you've been doing this, and bad things sometimes just happen. Sharing that so others know they aren't alone in what they are going through and hopefully helping others to learn from any mistakes I made is the ultimate goal. It's why forums for pet care exist. Is it tempting to lie and say that I'm perfect, my crabs are perfect, my tank is perfect, I never have anything die ever? Ooohhh yeeesssss. That type of worship is rather intoxicating. But it's also fake as heck. Everyone runs into problems, you will lose crabs to bad molts over time if not other problems, you'll cry and scream and get tired of smelling crab poop every day. Keepers need to know that! But it is extremely hard to admit when bad things happen. I'm working up to a very sad update and it's not an easy thing to say to people who I consider collegues and friends because I know it'll change things.

Wow, okay, ranting a bit. Sorry!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:09 pm

That's why I really enjoy this forum so much. If you have things you are uncertain about or think of a different approach you can get honest opinions from everyone who has experienced similar situations. I am grateful for the honest answers everyone provides. I believe they help me plan for better solutions that I may have in the future.

I don't think anyone assumes anyone is perfect on here with their crab care. But someone who has rescued hundreds of crabs over the years has seen way more than the average person ever will. That knowledge of caring for hundreds of crabs good and bad helps everyone out!

I'm not looking forward to your news but I am sure it is for good reasons. I hope all is well or at least will be.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm

wodesorel wrote:I love you guys. :)

But seriously - to me, experienced is where instead of having an 'Oh Crap' moment when something bad or unexpected happens, you instead have a 'Sigh, Not Again' reaction and just go straight to work. And that only comes from seeing a lot of situations.

I did a LOT of rescue, so I've seen a LOT of situations. Probably 150 crabs total over the years, most who have not survived. I've had them come to me naked, two started molting in my hands, I've had them change shells right in front me, worked with three dying wild caught jumbos, bacterial blooms, the worst enclosures you can imagine, traveled hours with them. The majority of crabbers will have a few crabs for multiple years and don't need to know (I hope they never know!) how to deal with these things.

I also try to be completely honest about my experiences and the outcomes. It's not a popularity contest, it's about showing others the reality of being a crabber with all the ups and downs and common tragedies. Everyone makes mistakes no matter how long you've been doing this, and bad things sometimes just happen. Sharing that so others know they aren't alone in what they are going through and hopefully helping others to learn from any mistakes I made is the ultimate goal. It's why forums for pet care exist. Is it tempting to lie and say that I'm perfect, my crabs are perfect, my tank is perfect, I never have anything die ever? Ooohhh yeeesssss. That type of worship is rather intoxicating. But it's also fake as heck. Everyone runs into problems, you will lose crabs to bad molts over time if not other problems, you'll cry and scream and get tired of smelling crab poop every day. Keepers need to know that! But it is extremely hard to admit when bad things happen. I'm working up to a very sad update and it's not an easy thing to say to people who I consider collegues and friends because I know it'll change things.

Wow, okay, ranting a bit. Sorry!
Crab poop smells? And rant away. That's why we're here.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:06 pm

A few dozen crabs on a fresh fruit diet using the shell shop as a port-a-potty has a distinctive rotten fruit-by-the-foot odor that sticks to skin for days. Urp.