adoption denied, bc of tote?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
ciaraalston

adoption denied, bc of tote?

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 am

So, i've searched the adoption section on this forum for locals needing to rehome crabs. I can't find anyone within 50 miles that even has crabs. I decided to check facebook, because more people find social media than forums. I found "Hermit Crab Adoption Center" on facebook. I filled out the adoption form and waited. A couple of days ago, she finally got back with me! She asked about my tank, if i planned on upgrading anytime soon. She explained that with 4 purple pinchers and 2 Ecuadorians, my 55 gallon was too crowded. I agree, so i told her about my 100 gal tote idea. 50 gallons (bottom tote) just for substrate, and the top tote (i'll probably add a few inches of substrate up into the top one as well) for water bowls, toys, etc. I figured i could add maybe a couple more crabs, but not too many. She denied my application because they don't approve totes as a permanent crabitat. I'm so disappointed! But, it really got me thinking... IS the tote idea REALLY a great longterm crabitat for them? I mean, most of you said you used them temporarily.... but i planned on keeping this setup for a while. At least until i find a 40B or something on sale. The 55 just doesn't have enough depth... but will my crabs be truly happy and healthy in this tote? I know i kinda went over this in my "tank vs tote" thread, but i don't remember if i clarified how long they'll be there. Probably a couple years if not longer. It's hard to find used tanks bigger than 10 gallons where i am. I'm sorry that i'm questioning it so much, i just want to be sure before i dive in and change their entire setup.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: adoption denied, bc of tote?

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:08 am

Let me add that i found an exo terra for sale nearby. it's 36 x 18 x 18. We were considering it for the ball python, but what about the crabs? would that be a better option than the totes?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 am

I think totes are fine. A few members from other boards have expressed the same issues - if they dont adhere to the strick guidelines of the 'fb group', their application gets denied.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 am

I also don’t think totes are a bad idea. The needs of the animals come before aesthetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:57 am

Don't take it personal. Some groups are more strict than others.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm

We used to have a huge adoption program here, but we haven't had anyone to run it so we sort of automated it and it slowed back down. None of us staff have the time, and I handed it over to six different members over the years and they ended up giving up as well within a few weeks. It needs either a dedicated and self-motivated person or a group of people to keep up with it when it gets busy. Sometimes upwards of 10 adoptions per day, and dozens of open adoptions to keep track of - with cross-posting and messaging through Facebook and email.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:00 pm

I agree with GotButterflies. One of the groups I was a member of, you couldn’t join them or adopt unless your tank was 29 Gallons or bigger.