Black Snake and Crabs

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Black Snake and Crabs

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:49 pm

I am not sure if this is technically considered an emergency but thought this may be the best area to post.

I just got home and accidently stepped on a 2 1/2 to 3' black snake in my living room because it was dark! He took off behind the couch and now i'm going to have to try and catch him. I don't really mind the snake being here too much.

My biggest concern is if the snake would go after crabs? I do not think it would since crabs have shells and constricting would do nothing to a crab but you never know. I believe if anything the snake would be more interested is the warmth of the tank. Should I be concerned for the crabs?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Black Snake and Crabs

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm

No, it won't touch the crabs because they will not smell like food. (Snakes want vertebrates!) My snakes don't even register my crabs as living things, as far as I can tell. It may decide to bask near the heat lamp though!

At that size and with that color I would not worry. It's probably a black rat snake. This time of year they are looking for places to settle in for winter, or if your apparentment complex has mice or rats it may have chased dinner inside. They like hidey holes, flat things to hide under, and really like bunched up rugs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking the crabs would be safe but figured I would double check with the experts! :wink: I was looking everywhere, under the baseboards, couch, behind electronics and no luck, yet. I have been getting the random field mouse every few weeks so I'm sure the snake was looking for dinner. I'm on the second floor so I have no clue how the snake or mice make their way up here. As long as the snake doesn't go after the crabs I'm alright having a "temporary" roommate until I can catch it and release it someplace else.

I just hope I didn't hurt it when I stepped on it. I was barefoot so I felt the cool leathery feel and caught me off guard. I did the half step down, up move so I don't think I put all my weight on it.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:12 am

We have a ton of rat snakes here. Snakes can climb. A lot of people don't realize that. Especially rat snakes. They climb the bushes all of the time here and hunt lizards. I had my stepson's ball python out one time and it climbed up the side of my house. My son's rat snake did that too. We have stucco.

Just a reminder - snakes cannot hear. They only feel vibrations. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:16 am

Well you’ll have a great mousetrap now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am

I'm not sure I would want that mousetrap in my house! Have you ever smelled snake poop? It is rancid!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I'm not sure I would want that mousetrap in my house! Have you ever smelled snake poop? It is rancid!
Oh I didn’t know that! Yuck!

♡Rod ♡Salty ♡Bubbles(Bob)♡Squirt ♡Crabina(Peanut)♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 pm

I still haven't had any luck finding the snake. I guess If I find some snake poop in the house the crabs would probably enjoy it! They do tend to like gross stinky stuff!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk