Bacterial bloom info?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
fandt94

Bacterial bloom info?

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:09 pm

No, I do NOT have one as far as I know lol but I’m curious for information so I’d like to ask how/why do blooms start and how to avoid it....thanks! (I’m a worry wart lol and like to know and be prepared)
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Re: Bacterial bloom info?

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Someone had a thread about this... I'll see if I can find it. They had one and she explained how she got rid of it and the possible reasons it started.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:12 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Someone had a thread about this... I'll see if I can find it. They had one and she explained how she got rid of it and the possible reasons it started.

I thought so but my search wasn’t bringing it up....someone should do a sticky topic on it lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:13 pm

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Here's one

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 pm

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Here's another, @wode explains a lot of detail in this one.

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Ty! Those were the 2 I thought would pop up in my search but didn’t...weird. Bacterial blooms literally scare me lol. I’m always checking the substrate I can see with a flashlight to see if I spot anything suspicious looking...I didn’t really pack mine down when I set it up so hoping that’s a good thing. I’ll see water dots down a few inches along the glass and it sometimes scares me but then they are gone the next day or after. I’ve only done the pencil test a few times and have never seen water pooled at all so I’m hoping that’s also a sign that things are all good. Boy do I overthink things! :innocent: :roll:

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:52 am

fandt94 wrote:Ty! Those were the 2 I thought would pop up in my search but didn’t...weird. Bacterial blooms literally scare me lol. I’m always checking the substrate I can see with a flashlight to see if I spot anything suspicious looking...I didn’t really pack mine down when I set it up so hoping that’s a good thing. I’ll see water dots down a few inches along the glass and it sometimes scares me but then they are gone the next day or after. I’ve only done the pencil test a few times and have never seen water pooled at all so I’m hoping that’s also a sign that things are all good. Boy do I overthink things! :innocent: :roll:
I thought I had a bacterial bloom and freaked out. Before I even got an answer on here I started removing that section of substrate. It was pretty much along the top edge. Then wode answered and said it was algea, which is a good sign. Lol. It was green but what did I know?? I'm glad I had extra moist ee stored already to add back.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

PinchersAndShells
Administrator
Administrator

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:19 am

I think that using your eyesight is the best way to check, I'm sure there are other ways but it's the easiest for me since I have 12" of substrate. Keep an eye on the bottom layer of the substrate, and if it is black or a rusty red color then dig it up and sniff it. If it smells like rotten egg or sulfur then it's a bacterial bloom.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Dottie, & Elvis
3 Captive Bred Babies = Randy, Roxie, Marco
37 + 10 Gallon Crabitats | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks to all for your input and info! I hope I never experience one but it’s good to know what to look for and what possibly causes it.