Moss

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Moss

Post by SLEPTAS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 am

So I'm new to keeping up the humidity. Currently I'm just spraying the tank with water occasionally but I feel like there is an easier way to keep the humidity up.

My question is what type of moss would be good to keep the humidity up and where could I get it for cheap (I'm about to move and dont have a lot of play money). Also what other ways do you guys keep the humidity up?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Re: Moss

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:18 am

I usually order my moss from TheHealthyHermit, but she's currently taking a break to breed hermit crabs so I got some from home Depot yesterday.
The sphagnum moss was $3 and the sheet moss was $3 or $4 I'm not sure.
The sphagnum moss I've made 6 iso totes with a large amount of moss and I still have over half a bag left. Once wet it's much easier to work with. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:36 am

You can also put bubblers in your pools. Does your substrate have sandcastle consistancy to begin with? Are you using heat lamps? Those zap humidity. Is your lid sealed well?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:40 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:You can also put bubblers in your pools. Does your substrate have sandcastle consistancy to begin with? Are you using heat lamps? Those zap humidity. Is your lid sealed well?
I'm about to get some play and so I have the right consistency. Right now its eco coco fiber. My whole set up is kind of makeshift until I can afford more things. I do have a heat lamp but that's my only source of light and heat so I cant take it out till I get a heat pad thing. My lid is seal with plastic wrap which isnt the best but I dont know where to get a glass lid that fits or anything like that. (If you couldnt tell I'm a newbie, any advise is welcome)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 pm

SLEPTAS wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:You can also put bubblers in your pools. Does your substrate have sandcastle consistancy to begin with? Are you using heat lamps? Those zap humidity. Is your lid sealed well?
I'm about to get some play and so I have the right consistency. Right now its eco coco fiber. My whole set up is kind of makeshift until I can afford more things. I do have a heat lamp but that's my only source of light and heat so I cant take it out till I get a heat pad thing. My lid is seal with plastic wrap which isnt the best but I dont know where to get a glass lid that fits or anything like that. (If you couldnt tell I'm a newbie, any advise is welcome)

No problem on being a newbie! We all were at some point. I've only been doing this a little over a year. You don't need a lamp for a light source. Unless the tank is in a closet. Otherwise regular daylight is fine. Try and seal that plastic tighter. It looks like its "loose" even though it's taped down. Whatever you're doing for them now is way way better than the conditions they were in before.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Do you think moss would help with the humidity?

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:40 pm

SLEPTAS wrote:

Welcome to the hermit crab association!!
So, hermiesguardian had a great point that I forgot... The bubblers are amazing. Since you're on a budget, that would most likely be your best option. I started my tank on a very tight budget. It costs about $10 to $15 for the bubblers in both pools. And that will boost humidity a LOT! I'll find the thread that explains how to do it and link it for you.

For a lid, I use egg crate light diffusers. It's at home Depot, and you just cut it down to what you need. You'll have to wrap the top in seran wrap or plastic wrap to keep humidity in, and you will need to weigh it down. I use books and a poker chips box lol. There's plenty of lid options, whatever works best for you and your budget. Image

Please don't be afraid to ask questions. This place is full of folks with amazing knowledge and willingness to answer your questions and help you figure this out. Image

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Here's the link!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:09 am

I had a really tough time with heat and humidity for awhile until i realized it was because my sub was lower than the heater height in the back. So there was a lot of exposed glass with no heat and it caused both to get out of whack. Once i figured that out, its been smooth sailing and i no longer need to mist.

Of course this is my experienced opinion and i probably have no idea what im talking about lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:26 am

elly_bananas wrote:I had a really tough time with heat and humidity for awhile until i realized it was because my sub was lower than the heater height in the back. So there was a lot of exposed glass with no heat and it caused both to get out of whack. Once i figured that out, its been smooth sailing and i no longer need to mist.

Of course this is my experienced opinion and i probably have no idea what im talking about lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sounds good to me! Lol. Glad it's gotten better.