Where can I get friends for my hermits in Seattle??

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Huckleberry

Where can I get friends for my hermits in Seattle??

Post by Huckleberry » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:20 pm

I currently have only two crabbies in this 36 gal tank: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-k ... 29698.html
I feel like they should have a few more pals, but there are very few people in or near Seattle that have crabs up for adoption... I check the adoption forums here every so often, no luck. :c Craigslist also doesn't have any right now, and there aren't any on the Facebook groups I'm part of. There are also no pet stores near me that take any better care of their animals then Petco/Petsmart. I'm at a loss!
I really don't want to purchase any crabbies online or from Petco/Petsmart. What should I do? I'm so close to just giving in and going to Petco, because I don't want my hermits to be lonely. Are there any other options? Or do you think my hermit crabs will be fine on their own? One is medium and the other is more of a small crabbie. The small one really likes to dig around underground, so my medium crab is mostly by himself during the day. How can I get friends for them? I really don't want to support the hermit industry, because though I would be saving a few crabbies from Petco or Petsmart, they would just take more from the wild. Please help! (Also, how many more hermits could I even fit in my 36 gal? I'm assuming about 3-5 smaller ones...But do I already have enough crabbies in my tank?)
Thank you! here's a cute photo of my medium crab:

Edit: I hope this is the right place to put this query! : )
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Where can I get friends for my hermits in Seattle??

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 pm

We've had soooo many adoptions in Seattle just go nowhere because there was no one to take crabs!! Please keep looking, make a post anywhere that you can think of that you want to adopt. I am sure there are owners who want to rehome who have given up!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Huckleberry

Re: Where can I get friends for my hermits in Seattle??

Post by Huckleberry » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 pm

wodesorel wrote:We've had soooo many adoptions in Seattle just go nowhere because there was no one to take crabs!! Please keep looking, make a post anywhere that you can think of that you want to adopt. I am sure there are owners who want to rehome who have given up!
Thank you! I really hope so. I'll have to wait for a while anyway cause I'm still ordering some new stuff for my tank! I'll keep looking. I definitely want to adopt if possible! Petco sucks. :c I went there once and the crab humidity was at like 50! I told one of the people there and they got super defensive about it. I hope someday that it will be against the law to sell hermit crabs. There are no pet stores that take care of them properly.
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!