Lobster

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Lobster

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:21 pm

I didn't know where to post this. It doesn't have anything to do with hermit crabs but I had to share this. Maybe actually get a suggestion. My daughter, who's in college, had their Christmas party and secret santa. She was given a LIVE LOBSTER! She doesn't know what to do with it of course. Some people offered to take it to cook. But since it was alive she felt she couldn't let that happen. She called me asking if she could bring it home tomorrow, could we set up a tank for it... I told her no way. I don't think there's a lobster rescue. It currently is in an ice chest with ice. So it's sedated. But was told another day like that it will die. I told her to bring it to the local aquarium. We're not vegetarians but it's alive. For now. Any suggestions?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Lobster

Post by wodesorel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:25 am

Let someone make a meal out of it so it's life wasn't wasted. Once they are out of water and iced there is no going back, they suffer damage much like hermits do. It's also hard to keep them in captivity because they require such large tanks and chillers. I'm so sorry, for some people that would have been a generous and expensive gift, but for pet lovers it's horrifying.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Lobster

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 am

wodesorel wrote:Let someone make a meal out of it so it's life wasn't wasted. Once they are out of water and iced there is no going back, they suffer damage much like hermits do. It's also hard to keep them in captivity because they require such large tanks and chillers. I'm so sorry, for some people that would have been a generous and expensive gift, but for pet lovers it's horrifying.
Thank you. I'll let her know.

Update: I just spoke with her and she gave it back to the person she got it from in the secret santa. He got it as a joke and isn't planning to cook it. Just let it die. Very sad.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi