Black bushy hair

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Nefertari

Black bushy hair

Post by Nefertari » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:36 pm

I recently adopted some new crabs from some neighbors and just noticed the bushy black hair on this crabs claws. They are only located on the joint of his claws. I've never noticed this on any of my other crabs before. Is this normal? It honestly looks like a fake beard! Also sorry the picture isn't great ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Black bushy hair

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 pm

They all have leg hairs but I've never seen black in the joints. Mine are all golden colored tufts.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 am

Is it just in one joint? Or multiple? Could it be something stuck in there?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Nefertari

Post by Nefertari » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 am

It's on both front joints but no where else. It looks very symmetrical when you see him walking from the front so I dont think it is something stuck in there.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Hair (setae) in that location is normal. All crabs have it, larger crabs have more. SG is right in that it's normally pale or golden in color. I'm not sure I've ever seen black.

However, there is a lot of variation in hermit crabs. There is also a possibility that it could be stained from substrate or something else in the enclosure. Or it could just be he hasn't molted in so long that the color has changed over time, and he may come back up from molting with pale hair again.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Nefertari

Post by Nefertari » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Thank you for the info! His buddies that we adopted at the same time as him have all gone down for their molts, so I suspect he will go down soon as well. They were purchased at the beach by a well meaning family but they had no idea how to properly care for them. So I think things have been rough for him. I can't wait to see if there is a change after he molts. They are such interesting creatures.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Like solientgringa, I only see gold tufts of hair
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:41 pm

That's pretty interesting! I'm curious to see how this one comes up after he/she molts! Please keep us updated!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com