Going on a trip

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Jamison

Going on a trip

Post by Jamison » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm going away for the weekend and leaving my crabs with some family. Any tips for making a care guide?
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Going on a trip

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Jamison wrote:I'm going away for the weekend and leaving my crabs with some family. Any tips for making a care guide?
As long as the basic conditions are being met, heat and humidity, just leave them dry food and they'll be fine. I left my crabs for 5 days with extra food. There were no problems.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:06 pm

We will usually leave our crabs alone for 3-4 days at most unsupervised. We will give them fresh foods and waters before leaving. We'll also put in an apple and/or pear core and fresh moss for additional food.

I don't think I would give the complete care guide for a weekend trip. If it was for several weeks I would be more detailed on everything.

You know how stable your tanks heat and humidity are. If your tanks humidity drops I'd let the caretakers know what to do if it fluctuates a lot.

I would make feeding as easy as possible. Make several days worth of "meals" in their own packets. That way someone can dump the old food and add a single package. That way they don't have to figure it out all the different foods themselves. The easier it is the less chance you have of them messing something up.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:24 pm

I've left mine for up to 2 weeks with no issues. As long as tank temps and humidity are stable and they have plenty of water and dry food they'll be fine.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk