Crabsitting

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Crabsitting

Post by CrabMommaChara » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Over summer vacation, I am going to ask one of my friends to crabsit for me, but I don't know how to get all the supplies to them. I am also anxious about leaving hermit crabs with someone who doesn't know much about them. What should I do, besides giving my friend a detailed list of feeding and caring for crabs?
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crabsitting

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:09 pm

CrabMommaChara wrote:Over summer vacation, I am going to ask one of my friends to crabsit for me, but I don't know how to get all the supplies to them. I am also anxious about leaving hermit crabs with someone who doesn't know much about them. What should I do, besides giving my friend a detailed list of feeding and caring for crabs?
How long will you be gone? They'll be fine for about a week. Just leave them extra dry food and make sure water is fresh and filled, if you have pools. If you move their tank you can collapse their caves and tunnels. And you shouldn't dig them up. 1st rule of crabbing. Especially if they're molting. If you'll be gone longer can your friend come to your house to take care of them?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Yeah, ideally they would come to my house, just to feed and water them every day. I intend to be gone for about a month.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 pm

CrabMommaChara wrote:Yeah, ideally they would come to my house, just to feed and water them every day. I intend to be gone for about a month.
They really only need to be fed every 4 days or so. I left mine for 5 days. They were fine. Do you have pools or just water dishes?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 pm

By the time summer rolls around, I will have pools.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm

I would agree that they only need to come a couple of times a week at the most, every 5 days would be fine. Leave them a detailed list. And if they won't be able to get ahold of you for any trouble shooting, have them sign up for an account on this site so we can help if anything goes wrong or if they have questions!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 pm

good idea!