Better Veiwing

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Mittmom

Better Veiwing

Post by Mittmom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Now, I KNOW crabs are nocturnal and that makes viewing their interesting lives tricky, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to see them better in the day. Right now we have a hollow cork log and the crabs stay inside literally all day. Because the log is curvy, we cannot see them. In the evening when they start to come out my kids sometimes get to see them and I always observe late at night before I got to bed. I don't really want to take away the log they love so much in favor for a smaller hide that is open to the front, but it has crossed my mind.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Better Veiwing

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Provide them with lots of different hiding places throughout the tank. By doing this, they will be more likely to explore around the tank instead of just hiding in one spot :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Hello, Welcome to the HCA!

A lot of us use the Wyze cams to monitor our crabitats 24-7. They are around $20 and you sync them up to your homes WiFi. You can view the cams through an app on your phone! If you add a micro SD card to them they will record all the time so you can go view their activities at night too. They will even record in complete darkness although it's b&w!

The cams are tiny, some people mount them inside the tank. I prefer to keep mine on the top of the glass lid. They must have a power cord running to them at all times. Other than that they are awesome! You can view them from just about anywhere at any time. Some of our crabs run and hide as soon as they see movement outside the tank. By checking the cam you don't disturb the crabs.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Mittmom

Post by Mittmom » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:21 am

Thank you for your responses!