When will the worrying end?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

When will the worrying end?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 pm

I have had my 5 hermit crabs for about 1.5 years now and feel like i've grown alot as a crabby parent. That being said, for the last few months 1 out of 5 has been MIA. He came up a few days ago and I am still so happy every time I see him.

Do you ever get to the point where you're not just low-key worried when one goes missing for months at a time?

Xenocrab

Re: When will the worrying end?

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:36 pm

Crabsolutely! I have 18 crabs and only 6 have been up! I worry! Are the other 12 molting successfully? Are they dead? Have the cannibalized? What's taking so long? And with them being rescues, it's hard to tell. My crabbies have taught me one powerful lesson: Patience!
Relax. Keep an eye on your humidity and heat. Make sure foods and fresh waters are always available. They will come up when they are darn good and ready. They live on their time, not ours. I understand all the concerns. Don't go digging no matter what. I've had crabs down for 3 months at a time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 pm

I don’t think so, it’s a little like having real kids. Of course, I have 3 real ones so I’m kidding, a little. .

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 pm

One of my purples has been MIA since late November early December. I have a hard time telling the three apart because they rarely are seen during the day and all are in tapesty turbos. They seem to come out in separate shifts.

My straws drive me nuts when they bury. I'm a bit paranoid with them due to their extra care. Two of them have been down for about a month now. I'm expecting them to be up in another two to three weeks.

I think I you get somewhat used to their molts and hiding but you never get completely ok with it.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:33 am

Same here. I have 8 in my 90 gal and 6 in my 40. I've only seen 3 at a time in both. Are the others dead? Have they been taking turns? The only way I'd know is if they all came up at the same time. Right. Or if I upgraded. It is a strange way to have pets.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:57 am

Crabbies will do whatever they want! They are the wild unknown... even in captivity! I wish they would at least leave a note in the sand telling me what they are doing! Lol! All I get are big holes to let me know they are still alive! They have no way of communicating with us, therefore, observation is vital. Hence why we have WYZE cams. They are the most allusive pets to have. They are a challenge. Crabby owners are a breed of their own. They drive us crazy, make us worry, but most of all, they make us happy!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:20 pm

I don't think I ever get over it completely. When they are down I always worry, and find myself checking the enclosure daily. And trying to spot everyone, noting who is up or down the best I can. Though they are sneaky with shell changes in the middle of the night some times. Regardless, I think the slight worry is always their, more so present however if it is their very first molt with you.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom