Lonely crab

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
cheeba1980

Lonely crab

Post by cheeba1980 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:21 am

Hello everyone,

I have just joined the crab owning world and enjoying my new mates already. However my little buddies seem to have settled in so well that 2 out of 3 have gone to molt and only one is left. Will he/she get lonely? I have read they need companionship or they can die. Should i go find another friend to keep him company?

CHEERS

Overmountain1

Re: Lonely crab

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 am

Totally up to you. The debate is ongoing whether they truly need company or if its anecdotal because they group in the wild for various reasons. There are plenty of single crabs in captivity who have lived for many years with no issues. I personally think it’s just up to the individual crab. Some are crabby and some are friendly- just like us!
So- is up to you really. It’s always a good excuse to add to the tank, assuming you have the space. They’re generally just fine for periods of time, such as while they’re buddies are buried.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:56 pm

How big is your tank? If you do have extra room in your tank and you want to find another crabby that needs a good home then it wouldn’t hurt. There is a good chance that any new ones you get might go right down to molt also. I had gotten two crabs in December and they both instantly dug right down to molt, I didn’t see the one for a month and then the other, a month and two weeks. They didn’t take a sip of water or a morsel of food. Your one remaining one may go to molt soon, leaving a possible new one alone then too. As long as they do have tank mates they should be ok, it’s up to you if you want to get another.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
cheeba1980

Post by cheeba1980 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks heaps guys,
Maybe i will just see how he goes. Its good to hear that its not something uncommon, i assumed they would be able to smell/sense someone else is around. I also thought it may be a good chance of our other buddy digging in too.
Thanks again!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:20 pm

This was a pretty interesting topic from a few weeks ago. Number of crabs, and their longevity.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 6&t=119567

Like everyone else said it's pretty much up to you. I would think a buddy or two would be fine. We have put multiple crabs from different places in together and the all seem to get along. once they set up their chain of command they are good as long as you supply plenty of shells and they have room to get away from each other.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
cheeba1980

Post by cheeba1980 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:43 pm

For info the first guy has resurfaced... 2 to go!