Question about what other groups say of our care

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabby33

Question about what other groups say of our care

Post by crabby33 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:53 am

Why do some groups say our care methods are dangerous? I am a member of multiple hermit crab groups. Most of them, including ours, have pine on the unsafe list. Only one of the groups says no pine period, including the hides.

This other group also pushes for play sand and EE only, no other amendments and no straight coconut fiber because it will cause molting deformities.

I think our group is just not as strict as other hermit crab groups. I’m thinking I may stick to this group only and back away from this other group on Facebook.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about what other groups say of our care

Post by curlysister » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:01 pm

In any field, there will be differing opinions. In veterinary care (my sister is a vet), human medicine (I am a Nurse Practitioner), quilting (one of my hobbies), etc etc. I always say it's the art vs the science. Many recommendations and best practice guidelines are based on proven methods and scientific inquiry. But then the 'real life' experience comes in.

I have only ever used this forum, it has met all my needs so I haven't had the need to go on any others.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:12 pm

I mainly use this forum too, I have made a few posts in the Facebook Talk pages but that’s about it. Just from hearing what other people say it makes me not want to go on other places. I strongly believe in everyone here and I’ve had very good luck with my crew bc of coming here.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 pm

I agree. There are some groups that push for play sand and EE only, with no amendments in the sub, and some do recommend amendments. I think it depends on who you
talk to. I’m also considering just sticking to this forum and staying away from the FB talk pages.
Last edited by crabby33 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm

I’ve actually been looking into sub amendments, I’d like my crew to be able to forage like they would in the wild, I think it would be good for them. I’m trying to make sure I find stuff that won’t mold, I scatter bits of green sand now but I’m trying to find other things to add. I feel like it’s sort of like taking care of babies, they’re your babies and mom knows what best for them. As long as you’ve got the basic proper care down, feeding them properly, and not abusing them(of course), then it should be ok. There’s much worse things out there in the world that some poor crabbies have to go through. Not that, that is an excuse but as long as they are happy and healthy, that’s all that should matter.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:58 pm

I’ve got Ocean Direct Live Sand mixed in as a sub amendment and I’ve seen my guys foraging foraging for bits of coral as a source of calcium, like they would in the wild. I’ve observed this behavior right before they dig down to molt.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 pm

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion... whether its correct or not, who on earth knows?

For me, you can't really make hard and fast rules on biology. There's no mathematical equation that's going to help stock a crab tank, substrate to use or what temp/humidity is best. Its just going to be what works *generally*. Each crab is unique, and will have difference preferences, so what works for one may not necessarily work for another.

As for other groups 'bashing' our idea of care. Oh well, you really cant please everyone! :) HCA has always and hopefully for a long time possible, took the stance that there is more than one way to properly care for crabs... and it shows, by numerous successes members have had over the years with different tank setups and as well as breeding attempts.

For example, keeping an aquarium is no different. Stocking levels, water quality, equipment will highly depend on the country, area or even the individual. If you set up two aquariums 'exactly' the same, they will both mature differently and have their own successes.

Its just rare for me to experience other hobby groups bash each other on the same interests... and its a shame that the crabbing community can be a little toxic like this. We're small enough as it is, and divisions cause a lot more issues that fixes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:38 pm

aussieJJDude wrote: Its just rare for me to experience other hobby groups bash each other on the same interests... and its a shame that the crabbing community can be a little toxic like this. We're small enough as it is, and divisions cause a lot more issues that fixes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Love this! You are so right!

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm

I believe the only things that every hermit crab group can actually agree upon is that pet carriers, screen cages, gravel, calcium sand, and painted shells are all bad for their well being. Everything else is up for debate one way or another.

We are trying to cover basic crab care worldwide. We have members in all different climates. What works in Florida may not work in Arizona. What works in Canada may not work in England. I know my basic care changes a lot between Summer and Winter. There are just so many variables nothing will be perfect for everyone.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities