Hermit crabs going outside?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Hermit crabs going outside?

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon May 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello! I would really like my hermit crabs to get some natural sunshine and explore outside! I am just not quite sure how I should do it. Should I let them free rome in the grass? I now where I live they spray for mosquitoes and my neighbor use roundup like crazy. So I don't think letting them free rome in the yard is best thing. I was thinking about putting them in there travel tank or getting a big empty storage bin for outside play time. Have any of you guys tried this? What should I prepare for if I take them outside? Thank you! I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit crabs going outside?

Post by curlysister » Mon May 27, 2019 1:19 pm

I would not recommend crabs being oustide of their crabitat. They do not need it, and conditions outside of the tank are not likely to be ideal temp and humidity.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon May 27, 2019 1:25 pm

curlysister wrote:I would not recommend crabs being oustide of their crabitat. They do not need it, and conditions outside of the tank are not likely to be ideal temp and humidity.
Okay thank you!

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 27, 2019 1:27 pm

Agreed. They’re not out-of-the-cage playing animals like mammals or birds. Moving them around like that is likely more stressful than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon May 27, 2019 1:36 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Agreed. They’re not out-of-the-cage playing animals like mammals or birds. Moving them around like that is likely more stressful than anything.

Thank you! I feel like I didn't explain well what I was thinking about. I am really bad at putting my thoughts into typing. I hope I said that right. I was thinking about make a proper setup with proper humidity and temp , and then just put that outside. And let them do their thing for a short period of time. So they could get natural sunshine. I know it is bad to handle them and I only do it when I have to.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon May 27, 2019 2:00 pm

I agree as well, but I understand where you're coming from! I thought of setting up a child's wading pool outside for the crabbies with substrate, waters and climbing things. But, as stated before, #1 hands off #2, that's not even close to their natural environment. So, I pitched that idea! We just want to do so much for our claw babies that isn't necessary because we love them so much!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon May 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Xenocrab wrote:I agree as well, but I understand where you're coming from! I thought of setting up a child's wading pool outside for the crabbies with substrate, waters and climbing things. But, as stated before, #1 hands off #2, that's not even close to their natural environment. So, I pitched that idea! We just want to do so much for our claw babies that isn't necessary because we love them so much!

Okay thank you! I am happy I asked for advice before I even tried.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon May 27, 2019 2:12 pm

We always ask before we do anything just to see what other people suggest...or don't suggest! It never hurts to ask!

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon May 27, 2019 2:18 pm

Xenocrab wrote:We always ask before we do anything just to see what other people suggest...or don't suggest! It never hurts to ask!

I haven't done anything that is outside the box with my hermit crabs, but if think of something I will definitely ask for advice!

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:23 pm

What if my house is around %60 humidity (or higher) and the temperature at 75 F? (Same for outside)
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:What if my house is around %60 humidity (or higher) and the temperature at 75 F? (Same for outside)
The humidity is too low (there is a risk of gill damage below seventy percent).

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 27, 2019 9:50 pm

If you do decide to take them out make sure whatever they are in is partially in the shade. They could potentially overheat in direct sun and should always be provided a cooler area. Also be extremely cautious of escapes, if they take off you won't find them. We've had many people find hermits wandering around neighborhoods before.

It really depends on where you are and what the temps are like. We were at 85 degrees and 92% humidity here in Ohio today. Crabs would have been fine outdoors! And I never worry much about brief excursions, the two oldest crabs in captivity spent close to 20 years wandering around a house in New Jersey in winter for hours every night. Furnaces will dry out the air into the teens easily.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram