$1/gallon sale at Petco

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Crabby7Crabber

Re: $1/gallon sale at Petco

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:28 am

To be honest, when I'm older I'm probably going to have a room with an absurd amount of large tanks just for my hermies. I wouldn't be surprised with myself if it was close to the size of one of the walls! Haha! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:30 am

Just wanted to stop in and say thank you all that helped out. I just finished a rough stretch Friday/Saturday/Sunday at work and now asking to test for C-19 in NJ... so it's been difficult. Not sure I've been this frustrated or exhausted, but enough about me! I hope all of you are doing well and staying safe. I have a family member that applied for unemployment and it has been much more difficult than it should be, but there are always people trying to take advantage of any situation regardless of the cost. Getting off-topic. Just hoping that your mother will get through financially with unemployment and the extra with stimulus package.

As for the tank with stand and lights... I worked with that co-worker this evening and I can just pick it up tomorrow for free. Seems like that's where the responses agree that would be ideal. Hopefully, I can clean it/remove wallpaper/lights work/etc. Unfortunately, with C-19, my plans are constantly changing and I'm behind on my upgrade, but at this point going to try to pickup tank tomorrow afternoon. I do have a few scheduled days off, but there are definitely shifts available. I appreciate the help/advice. Hopefully I can get the tank with stand tomorrow and go from there. Will update as things go and thanks again! Stay well and stay safe!

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 am

Kydra wrote:Just wanted to stop in and say thank you all that helped out. I just finished a rough stretch Friday/Saturday/Sunday at work and now asking to test for C-19 in NJ... so it's been difficult. Not sure I've been this frustrated or exhausted, but enough about me! I hope all of you are doing well and staying safe. I have a family member that applied for unemployment and it has been much more difficult than it should be, but there are always people trying to take advantage of any situation regardless of the cost. Getting off-topic. Just hoping that your mother will get through financially with unemployment and the extra with stimulus package.

As for the tank with stand and lights... I worked with that co-worker this evening and I can just pick it up tomorrow for free. Seems like that's where the responses agree that would be ideal. Hopefully, I can clean it/remove wallpaper/lights work/etc. Unfortunately, with C-19, my plans are constantly changing and I'm behind on my upgrade, but at this point going to try to pickup tank tomorrow afternoon. I do have a few scheduled days off, but there are definitely shifts available. I appreciate the help/advice. Hopefully I can get the tank with stand tomorrow and go from there. Will update as things go and thanks again! Stay well and stay safe!
Bless you for putting yourself out there to help us all! Please be careful and remember to take care of yourself too.
The unemployment site says self employed people shouldn't sign up yet. I'm not sure how long we're supposed to wait. That's our livelihood. Fingers crossed they do something soon.Image

I hope you were able to pick up the free tank/stand. I'm sure the crabbies will understand things are crazy for you now and can wait for the upgrade. Image You stay safe too!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:52 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 am
Bless you for putting yourself out there to help us all! Please be careful and remember to take care of yourself too.
The unemployment site says self employed people shouldn't sign up yet. I'm not sure how long we're supposed to wait. That's our livelihood. Fingers crossed they do something soon.Image

I hope you were able to pick up the free tank/stand. I'm sure the crabbies will understand things are crazy for you now and can wait for the upgrade. Image You stay safe too!

I appreciate the kind words. In reality, it's been very stressful and in the workplace many of us do not feel appreciated (just the truth of it) so thank you again! Hopefully the unemployment will come through and if the $600 extra in stimulus applies that should help as well.

I was supposed to get there Monday afternoon to pick up the tank, but unfortunately wasn't able to (now scheduled for Saturday).

In the meantime, I noticed the top layer of sand has been dry for a while. The "chopstick" method has always (and still does) leave a hole at the very front center of the current crabitat, but decided to check around... where the water containers are is the same, but the entire back just completely collapsed along with the opposite side of where the water containers are.

I decided to spray freshwater mostly in those areas on the back of the tank and the side opposite of the water containers. Will do some searching here. I have had bacterial blooms so I've been reluctant since to add too much, but I'm only seeing 3 out of 4 on camera and not liking the total collapse of substrate in that much of the tank.

My hope was to have this upgrade complete, even if partially, while all were up now, but unfortunately outside forces have made this much more difficult. Will check again before work tomorrow. Just hoping I didn't add too much water, but again it was dry and just collapsing. I'll do some searches on this as I've posted before on having the top few inches dry out.

Know I'm going even further off-topic here, but my humidity is 80%+ with only a small corner of the lid left open. I know some groups recommend just adding mixed dry substrate and say once the humidity is optimal that the substrate should absorb anything remaining leaving the crabitat ideal with less chance of bacterial blooms, etc. I just don't see how this could be, but who knows. The humidity outside of the tank is usually 20%-30%.

Hope all are doing well and back on topic; when does the sale actually end? I thought it was the beginning of April, but will have to check again for the exact date.

😎

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Kydra wrote:
I appreciate the kind words. In reality, it's been very stressful and in the workplace many of us do not feel appreciated (just the truth of it) so thank you again! Hopefully the unemployment will come through and if the $600 extra in stimulus applies that should help as well.

I was supposed to get there Monday afternoon to pick up the tank, but unfortunately wasn't able to (now scheduled for Saturday).

In the meantime, I noticed the top layer of sand has been dry for a while. The "chopstick" method has always (and still does) leave a hole at the very front center of the current crabitat, but decided to check around... where the water containers are is the same, but the entire back just completely collapsed along with the opposite side of where the water containers are.

I decided to spray freshwater mostly in those areas on the back of the tank and the side opposite of the water containers. Will do some searching here. I have had bacterial blooms so I've been reluctant since to add too much, but I'm only seeing 3 out of 4 on camera and not liking the total collapse of substrate in that much of the tank.

My hope was to have this upgrade complete, even if partially, while all were up now, but unfortunately outside forces have made this much more difficult. Will check again before work tomorrow. Just hoping I didn't add too much water, but again it was dry and just collapsing. I'll do some searches on this as I've posted before on having the top few inches dry out.

Know I'm going even further off-topic here, but my humidity is 80%+ with only a small corner of the lid left open. I know some groups recommend just adding mixed dry substrate and say once the humidity is optimal that the substrate should absorb anything remaining leaving the crabitat ideal with less chance of bacterial blooms, etc. I just don't see how this could be, but who knows. The humidity outside of the tank is usually 20%-30%.

Hope all are doing well and back on topic; when does the sale actually end? I thought it was the beginning of April, but will have to check again for the exact date.

No problem. Image And I hope it comes through too. It would be super helpful right now.

Sorry you didn't get the chance to grab the tank. Hope it works out for you this weekend.

I remember you had the bacterial bloom problem, so I don't blame you for not over misting. I think someone on here (might be curlysister), said adding a little water around the edges will allow it to eventually seep inwards. You can just do a tiny bit at a time so you're able to monitor how dry or damp the sand is. Hmmm, not sure how adding dry substrate would work to absorb humidity. It might be possible though.

Just checked the Petco webpage. It says the sale is still on but only if you buy online and pick up the tank in-store. The 40 and 55 gals are 50% off. I didn't see an expiration date anywhere though. I'll keep my eyes peeled! Image
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... allon-sale

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:45 pm
No problem. Image And I hope it comes through too. It would be super helpful right now.

Sorry you didn't get the chance to grab the tank. Hope it works out for you this weekend.

I remember you had the bacterial bloom problem, so I don't blame you for not over misting. I think someone on here (might be curlysister), said adding a little water around the edges will allow it to eventually seep inwards. You can just do a tiny bit at a time so you're able to monitor how dry or damp the sand is. Hmmm, not sure how adding dry substrate would work to absorb humidity. It might be possible though.

Just checked the Petco webpage. It says the sale is still on but only if you buy online and pick up the tank in-store. The 40 and 55 gals are 50% off. I didn't see an expiration date anywhere though. I'll keep my eyes peeled! Image
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... allon-sale

Thanks for the tips. I kinda been through this now with being really reluctant to add water post-bacteral blooms, but I did just add along the back end of the tank and one side as you mentioned. Humidity was at 99% at one point, but it's working back down again. Apparently, you add dry substrate and add water until reach around 80% humidity I guess?? Not exactly sure as I have been going with a dry side sandcastle consistency (still enough to tunnel, etc).

Appreciate you checking and for those reading apparently the sale is still on! So hope that information helps. Was really trying to just get back on topic lol. I'm pretty much set on trying to work with this tank and still planning on picking up Saturday. Just getting home from work and heading back tomorrow! Thanks again and hope everyone is following guidelines and staying healthy & safe!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17 am

When you go to clean the tank, I would recommend spraying it down with white vinegar and letting it sit for 15 minutes to loosen the buildup. Then go in with a razor blade and scrape all of the glass down while the glass is still wet, avoiding the silicon seams. Rinse very very well, and then wash/sterilize as you see fit. It looks like it had been used for saltwater, and you can do real damage to the glass trying to scrub it clean, as bits of calcium from the sand, rock and marine creatures will scratch the heck out of it. I ruined a pristine hexagonal tank once by taking a scrubber to it. 😵
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:44 am

Kydra wrote: Thanks for the tips. I kinda been through this now with being really reluctant to add water post-bacteral blooms, but I did just add along the back end of the tank and one side as you mentioned. Humidity was at 99% at one point, but it's working back down again. Apparently, you add dry substrate and add water until reach around 80% humidity I guess?? Not exactly sure as I have been going with a dry side sandcastle consistency (still enough to tunnel, etc).

Appreciate you checking and for those reading apparently the sale is still on! So hope that information helps. Was really trying to just get back on topic lol. I'm pretty much set on trying to work with this tank and still planning on picking up Saturday. Just getting home from work and heading back tomorrow! Thanks again and hope everyone is following guidelines and staying healthy & safe!
You're welcome! I hope that method of adding water works well for you without causing any flooding. Image

Good luck with grabbing the tank today. Stay safe too! Image

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Mon May 11, 2020 1:55 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:44 am
You're welcome! I hope that method of adding water works well for you without causing any flooding. Image

Good luck with grabbing the tank today. Stay safe too! Image

Hey, I feel bad kinda took over this thread and I'm sure the Petco sale is over... haven't had ANY time to do much of anything, but my (pre-covid) crab that I thought was collapsed in dryness came up! Just wanted to update on that and, of course, the (lack of) new/larger tank.

Just finished my last of 3 shifts and turned the wyze cam on around 1AM watching a crab pick at cuttlebone for about a half hour (lol). Thinking they NEVER touch that unless just after a molt. I have been adding/spraying water for a few weeks as a just in case and checking as much as possible with the chop stick method. Sure enough I move the camera around and all 4 are up... 1 other guy digging though...

Unfortunately, being a nurse in NJ is not fun right now (will just leave it at that). I STILL have not picked up the larger tank. The fresh molter is a lot larger than pre-molt and now looking for shells after the cuttlebone snack. I just sent a text that I'm going to try to pick up that larger tank asap as there are now 4 up in a 20G long which makes me uncomfortable.

It's going on 3AM here, but now planning on rearranging the tank tomorrow for more room and try to remove many of the old shells that are way too small for any as I purchased 20 more shells of better size pre-covid. Just haven't been able to pick up that tank as I need a family member's SUV and my schedule has been completely brutal.

I am also going to do a mini-clean... dig up and clean shells that are correct size/half buried in sub, take out everything and remove just a bit of the top layer of sub (lots of organic matter, leaf litter, and so on) so I can add in another inch or a bit more if I can swing it with the current tank. This will help so much as I will be able to re-mix all substrate and get back to ideal consistency for them all.

Just up way too late as I am oddly more thrilled about the crab coming up over anything else going on at the moment haha. I really haven't been able to read through much on here without the extra time besides checking the safe food list here and there (thank you HCA).

And... that's all I have for now, but can't wait until the day I can post pictures of the new setup hopefully sooner rather than later! If you or anybody thinks my current plan for helping as best I can think of to minimize overcrowding and any shell issues is not the best idea then please feel free to post any advice. All feedback here is greatly appreciated!

Hope you and everyone are doing well and finding a way to cope with our current circumstances as we are all experiencing things on a different level. Hoping to have time this week to read up on some posts/updates and will check back here before I start my 'mini-clean/undercrowd' effort! Thanks again. 👍👍😎

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Kydra wrote: Hey, I feel bad kinda took over this thread and I'm sure the Petco sale is over... haven't had ANY time to do much of anything, but my (pre-covid) crab that I thought was collapsed in dryness came up! Just wanted to update on that and, of course, the (lack of) new/larger tank.

Just finished my last of 3 shifts and turned the wyze cam on around 1AM watching a crab pick at cuttlebone for about a half hour (lol). Thinking they NEVER touch that unless just after a molt. I have been adding/spraying water for a few weeks as a just in case and checking as much as possible with the chop stick method. Sure enough I move the camera around and all 4 are up... 1 other guy digging though...

Unfortunately, being a nurse in NJ is not fun right now (will just leave it at that). I STILL have not picked up the larger tank. The fresh molter is a lot larger than pre-molt and now looking for shells after the cuttlebone snack. I just sent a text that I'm going to try to pick up that larger tank asap as there are now 4 up in a 20G long which makes me uncomfortable.

It's going on 3AM here, but now planning on rearranging the tank tomorrow for more room and try to remove many of the old shells that are way too small for any as I purchased 20 more shells of better size pre-covid. Just haven't been able to pick up that tank as I need a family member's SUV and my schedule has been completely brutal.

I am also going to do a mini-clean... dig up and clean shells that are correct size/half buried in sub, take out everything and remove just a bit of the top layer of sub (lots of organic matter, leaf litter, and so on) so I can add in another inch or a bit more if I can swing it with the current tank. This will help so much as I will be able to re-mix all substrate and get back to ideal consistency for them all.

Just up way too late as I am oddly more thrilled about the crab coming up over anything else going on at the moment haha. I really haven't been able to read through much on here without the extra time besides checking the safe food list here and there (thank you HCA).

And... that's all I have for now, but can't wait until the day I can post pictures of the new setup hopefully sooner rather than later! If you or anybody thinks my current plan for helping as best I can think of to minimize overcrowding and any shell issues is not the best idea then please feel free to post any advice. All feedback here is greatly appreciated!

Hope you and everyone are doing well and finding a way to cope with our current circumstances as we are all experiencing things on a different level. Hoping to have time this week to read up on some posts/updates and will check back here before I start my 'mini-clean/undercrowd' effort! Thanks again. ImageImageImage
Hey there!

Sorry to hear you haven't been able to get your free tank yet. I can only imagine how crazy being a nurse is right now. You have to make sure to take care of yourself first so you can take care of your crabbies.

I had my own Covid scare a couple of weeks ago. I had swollen glands, sore throat, and a fever. Thank goodness it was just a bad ear infection. I was tested for the virus and was negative.

I thought I was the only one watching my crabbies do boring things on the Wyze cam lol. I watched my crab walking on the wheel for about 20 mins the other night lol.

How did you make out rearranging your tank? I've got a few shells that are too small too that need to go. They end up just getting buried by the crabs anyway. That's great to hear about your one crabby coming up! That's always exciting when they make their first reappearance lol. Image

It sounds like you have a good plan to free up some space in your tank. I still have one molter down in my 20 gal that I've been waiting to see since Feb. This morning I saw some shell drag marks, so hopefully she's finished! I put my cam back on that tank to see if I can catch her to move her into the 55 gal.

Thanks for chatting and updating us on your upgrade. Be safe, stay well, and take care! ImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi Kydra! Welcome to the HCA! I just wanted to mention that with E's I recommend a few things: 1) a minimum of 10 gallons per E instead of the normal gallon per crab rule. 2) a minimum of 8-10 inches of substrate because E's love to dig 3) a minimum of 2 proteins offered daily as well as calcium available at all times. By following these guidelines, I have never had issues with any of my Es. I'm sure you are aware that they love oval shaped shells, however they will take turbo shells as well. :)

Thank you for your service as a nurse. Be well and stay safe! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 am

Thank you both for the tips/feedback! Sorry about that ear infection, but could have been much worse; hope that's all cleared up and you are feeling well!!

People underestimate mental health in general and completely agree have to take care of yourself body/mind. This year just has been a rough one... I'm out of work at the moment pending C-19 results. Had a terrible, terrible weekend and still some lingering effects so we'll see.

I actually just rearranged again yesterday and "re-built" their water containers which also helped with some space. Have 2 up now and 2 down so it's not so crowded and had added a few inches of sub prior so I'm a few inches over 6"... doubt 10" though, but will get there as soon as I can. Doing as best I can right now. I did much of the same with smaller shells; can't believe how fast they have grown! I still have their original shells and I'll just smh looking at them lol.

Love the wyze cam... I've said that without it, I'm not sure this would have become what it has lol. And, yes, waiting is the worst. Hopefully your molter from February is up and about now.

Appreciate the extra input specifically related to the E. This might be the longest (time wise) upgrade post here; my plans for this year took a bunch of twists and turns, but will have them in a larger tank as soon as I can. Thank you!

Thank you both again and stay safe as well! 😎

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:33 am

Quick question... with a 55G tank does it need to be on a stand? Didn't quite think about the weight with the 20L on the dresser and I'm not confident it'll hold the 55G.

Was going to place 55G on carpeted area a few inches from wall on other side of room, but have been searching this forum nonstop RE if I NEED to buy a stand. Was going to slowly setup in chosen location on floor and as molters came up from 20L just move them in.

After hours of looking at inexpensive stands, there are so many reviews about all within a decent price range that many wrote would not trust to hold the weight hence why I am now asking if it is OK with 55G just placed directly on carpeted floor?

Long story, but will update as I go. Thank you for any help here, losing my mind with every stand and reviews stating just not enough support. Thanks again for any advice!

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 am

Kydra wrote:Quick question... with a 55G tank does it need to be on a stand? Didn't quite think about the weight with the 20L on the dresser and I'm not confident it'll hold the 55G.

Was going to place 55G on carpeted area a few inches from wall on other side of room, but have been searching this forum nonstop RE if I NEED to buy a stand. Was going to slowly setup in chosen location on floor and as molters came up from 20L just move them in.

After hours of looking at inexpensive stands, there are so many reviews about all within a decent price range that many wrote would not trust to hold the weight hence why I am now asking if it is OK with 55G just placed directly on carpeted floor?

Long story, but will update as I go. Thank you for any help here, losing my mind with every stand and reviews stating just not enough support. Thanks again for any advice!
Hi! Image

I hope your C-19 results came back negative. Sorry to hear things have been so crazy. Image

You should be fine with the tank on the floor. After I moved, I had my 20 gal on the floor for a bit. The worst thing was having to bend over to change food and water, and to check on the crabbies. My back did not appreciate that lol. If you think the floor is strong enough to hold a stand and a tank, it should be ok to hold just the tank. Just remember, if you decide you want a stand later, it will be a lot more difficult to move a tank full of sand than when it's empty. Def let us know what you decide!

Good luck!

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:03 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 am
Hi! Image

I hope your C-19 results came back negative. Sorry to hear things have been so crazy. Image

You should be fine with the tank on the floor. After I moved, I had my 20 gal on the floor for a bit. The worst thing was having to bend over to change food and water, and to check on the crabbies. My back did not appreciate that lol. If you think the floor is strong enough to hold a stand and a tank, it should be ok to hold just the tank. Just remember, if you decide you want a stand later, it will be a lot more difficult to move a tank full of sand than when it's empty. Def let us know what you decide!

Good luck!

Hey, was up late stressing about the crabs lol. Finally feeling better, but still not 100%... heading to work... or at least trying to get ready to head back in today. Feels like I have been sick and just resting for way too long now. My results did come back negative, thankfully! Thanks for asking. 😎

I personally prefer the tank on the floor and had help with the tank hence why I now have a 55G, but it is a new tank. Have a spot in my room that has really no traffic (I am rarely in there myself and the placement is ideal and no issue with the floor itself holding 500lb+ esp in the chosen location). I was offered help with getting a stand which started all of this rolling in my head and every stand from 100-300 or so had many poor reviews and reviewers having to reinforce the stand to hold the weight which kinda defeats the purpose of paying the money for it in my opinion. Of course that price range isn't going to result in some amazingly well built stand.

I am completely fine with the floor and having to mess around with the crabitat once complete... oddly, I would prefer it there lol. There shouldn't be an issue with getting a stand later as, again, within this price range or so one was offered to me. I had planned on just cutting the cardboard from the packaging to leave under the tank then directly on the floor. Should I use the cardboard or a mat of some sort? Better to just place directly on the carpet? It's an Aqueon 55G so not a show tank that was extremely expensive, but am still thankful to finally have something after so long talking about upgrading!

The crabs will be much happier once I get this all figured out! Thanks again and if anybody else has any thoughts please chime in; would be appreciated. 🦀